Apostrophe after Quotations on a Direct Quote

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,126
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I recently read a review of the movie "Inglourious Basterds" online and a segment read "the explanation given for "Funny People"'s failure". So basically I'm asking if this is the correct way of writing it.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I recently read a review of the movie "Inglourious Basterds" online and a segment read "the explanation given for "Funny People"'s failure". So basically I'm asking if this is the correct way of writing it.
***NOT A TEACHER*** I love your question. Hopefully, someone who works at a newspaper (print or online) will answer. Let me just say:(1) I truly believe that is the correct way. (2) I carefully read my American newspaper each day, and I have never seen it done that way. (3) I have seen all kinds of "crazy" ways. For example: The article wanted to mention an actor in a movie called "The Cloister Walk." So the article said: ...to introduce "The Cloister Walk's" Kathleen Norris.... Wow! How "crazy"! (By the way, I called her an "actor" because that's the word used for both genders in the States.) Of course, logic would have it as: "The Cloister Walk" 's Kathleen Norris. But I assume that editors feel that it is too unsightly. Let's see what a professional has to tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.