Long distance flight consumes natural resources and pollutes the air. Some people think it should be banned. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Nowadays, planes are playing an increasingly crucial role in our society, people are getting more used to travel by planes than anything else. When it comes to whether long distance flight is recommended or not, people hold divergent views. Some people believe that long distance flight is not eco-friendly while many others argue that flight is not replacable. In my own perspective, I am in favour of the later point of view.

There is no doubt that flight has a number of advantages. To begin with, it seems that flight has become the most efficient way of travel long distance. For example, by taking a plane from Shanghai to Beijing, it may only takes about two or three hours, whereas trans may take up to eight or ten hours. In addition, travel by flights can relieve the pressure of road traffic. More specifically, a big full flight can take up to 300 pacengers at one time. In other words, without the flight, the road traffic can be added by 300 individual cars which can lead to serious traffic jams. Last but not least, flying is fun. It offers people a different view from the sky.

On the other hand, it is worth pointing out there are also arguments supporting the opnion that long distance flight are not good. The fundamental reason for this is that it cconsumes natural resources and pollutes the air. Obviously, airplanes do require large amount of fossil fuels which are non-renewable resources, more importantly, they also pollute our environment while being combusted. Having said that, however, an apparent problem with this opinion is at the moment, fossile fuel is widely used no matter people travel by flight or by other types of vehicles. More importantly, scientists are improving the machanical efficiency of planes to reduce the amount of fuels they required and therefore reduce the amount of pollution they produce. Thus, we should not overlook the fact that technologies are getting improved at all times.

On the basis of the discussion, I would concede that long distance flight may consume natural resouces and lead to pollution. Despite that, it is efficient and it can relieve the pressure of road traffic and brings more fun to us.