Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    Quote Originally Posted by roseriver1012 View Post
    You are absolutely right. In the language of Chinese, there do not at all exist articles.
    What do you have instead?

    Quote Originally Posted by roseriver1012 View Post
    And by the way, why till now there is still not a native speaker coming out to explain my question? Is it because they think it worthless to tell?
    It is a difficult issue for them too. By that standard, you could have asked why people with blue eyes did not answer. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Do not read anything into it.

    EDIT: krfedson looks like a native. (S)he answered you.

  2. #12
    Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    (not a teacher)

    I'm a native speaker, sorry that I can't shed any more light on the issue though!

    It occurs to me that every other general timeframe does not require 'the':

    I will be home next week/next fortnight/next month/next year etc.

    I believe it has something to do with the fact that you can just say 'tomorrow'. There is no such word for week, month, year etc. I can't quite put my finger on it, so what I'm trying to express won't be very clear!

    This is the only thing close to an answer I can come up with; 'the next day' already has a word - tomorrow. Week/month etc don't. So perhaps it is something to do with language change over time - the week/month etc lost their article because it isn't needed. 'Day' kept it's article because it is used far less than week/month etc in the form 'the next ___'.

    This is a complete guess!

  3. #13
    Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    Oh, it just occured to me the answer... I think?

    'The next day' in your example doesn't refer to 'tomorrow'. That is, it doesn't mean 'the day after today'.

    'I will be on stage the next day' - the day could be any day! Notice that you can put the sentence into past and it still is correct: 'I was on stage the next day'. If 'the next day' meant 'tomorrow', this wouldn't be possible: 'I was on stage tomorrow.'

    'Next year', 'next month' only work if the 'next' refers to the month/year after the current one.

    You need the article in 'month' and 'year' if you use it the same way as 'day' in your example:

    I was in a play for my school production. The next year I was acting on Broadway.

    We will be getting married in June. The next month we'll spend on a luxury cruise as our honeymoon.

    Without the 'the' in these sentences, they would be incorrect.

    I hope that this answers it. 'The next day' refers to 'the day after the event happened', it does not refer to 'the day that is next'. This is what 'next year' and 'next month' refer to. So, day isn't any different from 'month' or 'year'!

    'Next day' meaning 'the day that is next' isn't generally used at all. Tomorrow is.

    1. Next year I'll be 21.
    2. Next month I'll be 21.
    3. Next day I'll be 21.
    4. Tomorrow I'll be 21.

    Sentence 1, 2, and 4 are correct. Sentences 3 and 4 are identical in meaning.

    Talk about having a revelation!! It came to me as soon as I clicked 'post' on the previous message!

  4. #14
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    I was in a play for my school production. The next year I was acting on Broadway.
    What if you put a semicolon or a conjunction "and" here?
    Is the article "the" still mandatory?

    "I was in a play for my school production; (the) next year I was acting on Broadway."
    "I was in a play for my school production and (the) next year I was acting on Broadway."

    To my ears these seem OK without the article "the", am I wrong?

  5. #15
    Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    What if you put a semicolon or a conjunction "and" here?
    Is the article "the" still mandatory?

    "I was in a play for my school production; (the) next year I was acting on Broadway."
    "I was in a play for my school production and (the) next year I was acting on Broadway."

    To my ears these seem OK without the article "the", am I wrong?
    I would say it is wrong without the article. 'Next year' to me refers to the year that is next; and only next to the current year. 'The next year' to me refers to the year that is next to the year that was specified in a previous sentence.

    Also, 'the next year', 'the next month', 'the next day' can be used to mean 'a year/month/day starting from this moment', as in:

    The next year will be crucial for me, because it's my final year of university.
    The next month is going to drag because I'm on holiday and have nothing to do.
    The next day is filled with plans to rearrange the furniture.

    You could replace each of these with a removal of the article (expect the last, because we said that 'next day' doesnt exist - only 'tomorrow'), but it would mean something different.

    This doesn't mean that 'the next day' can't refer to 'tomorrow', just that it can also refer to any day that has ever and will ever exist. The same goes with month and year: 'next month' is only the month which comes next to this one, 'the next month' can be any month; year is the same.

  6. #16
    Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    I would say it is wrong without the article. 'Next year' to me refers to the year that is next; and only next to the current year. 'The next year' to me refers to the year that is next to the year that was specified in a previous sentence.

    Also, 'the next year', 'the next month', 'the next day' can be used to mean 'a year/month/day starting from this moment', as in:

    The next year will be crucial for me, because it's my final year of university.
    The next month is going to drag because I'm on holiday and have nothing to do.
    The next day is filled with plans to rearrange the furniture.

    You could replace each of these with a removal of the article (expect the last, because we said that 'next day' doesnt exist - only 'tomorrow'), but it would mean something different.

    This doesn't mean that 'the next day' can't refer to 'tomorrow', just that it can also refer to any day that has ever and will ever exist. The same goes with month and year: 'next month' is only the month which comes next to this one, 'the next month' can be any month; year is the same.
    OK, I agree. Your point seems consistent.

    However, changing a little bit the trend, I ask the following:
    In colloquial everyday speaking do native speakers usually make these distinctions? I am talking specifically about the examples above.
    If two friends are talking and one of them says: "Next year will be crucial for me, because it's my final year of university," do you think the second one will notice the lack of the article? And if so, would he or she understand it differently?

    The same questions I ask regarding:
    "I was in a play for my school production and the next year I was acting on Broadway."

  7. #17
    roseriver1012's Avatar
    roseriver1012 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondorosi View Post
    What do you have instead?



    It is a difficult issue for them too. By that standard, you could have asked why people with blue eyes did not answer. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Do not read anything into it.

    EDIT: krfedson looks like a native. (S)he answered you.
    We do not have one like "the" in our language. That really seems unnecessary to us.

  8. #18
    roseriver1012's Avatar
    roseriver1012 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    I would say it is wrong without the article. 'Next year' to me refers to the year that is next; and only next to the current year. 'The next year' to me refers to the year that is next to the year that was specified in a previous sentence.

    Also, 'the next year', 'the next month', 'the next day' can be used to mean 'a year/month/day starting from this moment', as in:

    The next year will be crucial for me, because it's my final year of university.
    The next month is going to drag because I'm on holiday and have nothing to do.
    The next day is filled with plans to rearrange the furniture.

    You could replace each of these with a removal of the article (expect the last, because we said that 'next day' doesnt exist - only 'tomorrow'), but it would mean something different.

    This doesn't mean that 'the next day' can't refer to 'tomorrow', just that it can also refer to any day that has ever and will ever exist. The same goes with month and year: 'next month' is only the month which comes next to this one, 'the next month' can be any month; year is the same.

    What a long and complicated answer! I really appreciate your help though it somehow makes me dizzy (maybe not a proper word to use). Do you mainly mean that "next day" in fact equals "tomorrow", while "the next day" means the day after a certain one you've mentioned? Then do we usually say "next day" when we mean "tomorrow"?

  9. #19
    Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    Quote Originally Posted by roseriver1012 View Post
    What a long and complicated answer! I really appreciate your help though it somehow makes me dizzy (maybe not a proper word to use). Do you mainly mean that "next day" in fact equals "tomorrow", while "the next day" means the day after a certain one you've mentioned? Then do we usually say "next day" when we mean "tomorrow"?
    Yes, that's correct. It seems to be that way to me.

    In the first example you gave, When I was on the stage the next day, we can't possibly be dealing with 'the next day' meaning 'tomorrow' because of the 'was'; this event clearly happened in the past.

    Your question was why does 'day' need 'the', but month and year don't. My answer now is that year an month need 'the' if they are used in this same way; to mean 'any year that followed the one previously specified', and not 'the next year from this one'. I hope the examples I gave show this:

    I was in a play for my school production. The next year I was acting on Broadway.
    We will be getting married in June. The next month we'll spend on a luxury cruise as our honeymoon.

    As ymnisky said, in speech, people may drop these articles or say them so fast and unstressed that they seem non-existant, but they are necessary in writing. Saying just 'next year' and then 'I was' isn't possible; 'next year' can only be in the future. 'The next year' means 'the year that was next to (i.e. 'after') the year I was in a play for my school production'.

    In the same way, 'the next day' means 'the day that was next to (after) the day specified previously'. 'Next day' doesn't exist in spoken/written language; we only use 'tomorrow'. However, if it did exist, it would mean 'the day next to this one', and like 'next month' and 'next year' it couldnt be used in past. The same way 'tomorrow' cannot be used in past tense.

    If it's still not clear I'll try and help make it more clear.

  10. #20
    roseriver1012's Avatar
    roseriver1012 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    Yes, that's correct. It seems to be that way to me.

    In the first example you gave, When I was on the stage the next day, we can't possibly be dealing with 'the next day' meaning 'tomorrow' because of the 'was'; this event clearly happened in the past.

    Your question was why does 'day' need 'the', but month and year don't. My answer now is that year an month need 'the' if they are used in this same way; to mean 'any year that followed the one previously specified', and not 'the next year from this one'. I hope the examples I gave show this:

    I was in a play for my school production. The next year I was acting on Broadway.
    We will be getting married in June. The next month we'll spend on a luxury cruise as our honeymoon.

    As ymnisky said, in speech, people may drop these articles or say them so fast and unstressed that they seem non-existant, but they are necessary in writing. Saying just 'next year' and then 'I was' isn't possible; 'next year' can only be in the future. 'The next year' means 'the year that was next to (i.e. 'after') the year I was in a play for my school production'.

    In the same way, 'the next day' means 'the day that was next to (after) the day specified previously'. 'Next day' doesn't exist in spoken/written language; we only use 'tomorrow'. However, if it did exist, it would mean 'the day next to this one', and like 'next month' and 'next year' it couldnt be used in past. The same way 'tomorrow' cannot be used in past tense.

    If it's still not clear I'll try and help make it more clear.
    It is clear to me this time! And I'm really thankful for your warm-hearted help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. difference in meaning?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2010, 08:19
  2. "Difference Between" or "the difference between"
    By cherran in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2009, 15:43
  3. [Idiom] The difference gets tacked onto the principal?
    By eliang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2008, 17:30
  4. mean the difference
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2008, 18:34
  5. what is the difference between....
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2004, 09:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •