Thread: I'm back

englisha Guest

Default I'm back

Hi... sometimes the life is quite strange... anyway, I'm back, asking for your corrections over the following parragraph:

You cannot manage, what you cannot measure. This is an accepted statement. Then, there is a big problem with intangible capital –which plays a big role in success of enterprises – because there is no accepted method to measure it. This problem has been detected from quite long time, nevertheless, there is no fully accepted solution. And further on, there are many few solutions proposed. Traditionally the enterprises measure their profits in monetary expression, they make a balance sheet and then find how well (or bad) the finances are; or use methods like Balanced Scorecard, which measure quantitative goals, weighting costs, time, rates of production; for evaluate the organizational health. Unfortunately, no one of these methods are useful to measure of intangible capital.

Thanks !!!

A

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'm back

Here are some suggestions:

It is accepted that you cannot manage, what you cannot measure. There is, therefore, a big problem with intangible capital –which plays a big role in the success of enterprises – because there is no accepted method of measuring it. This problem has been known for a long time, yet there is no fully accepted solution. Moreover, there are very few solutions proposed. Traditionally, enterprises measure their profits in monetary expression: they make a balance sheet and then find how good (or bad) the finances are; or use methods like a/the (I don't know which is better) Balanced Scorecard, which measures quantitative goals, weighting costs, time, rates of production to evaluate the organizational health. Unfortunately, none of these methods are useful to measure intangible capital.

How about companies instead of enterprises?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Here are some suggestions:

It is accepted that you cannot manage, what you cannot measure. There is, therefore, a big problem with intangible capital – (space) which plays a big role in the success of enterprises – because there is no accepted method of measuring it. This problem has been known for a long time, yet there is no fully accepted solution. Moreover, there are very few solutions proposed. Traditionally, enterprises measure their profits in monetary expression: they make a balance sheet and then find how good (or bad) the finances are; or use methods like a/the (I don't know which is better) Balanced Scorecard, which measures quantitative goals, weighting costs, time, rates of production to evaluate the organizational health. Unfortunately, none of these methods are useful to measure intangible capital.

How about companies instead of enterprises?
    These are changes I would look at -

It is accepted that - To me it sounds like a filler. It does not say anything. Strike it
    Big - Twice in one sentence. Work around it - considerable, substantial ...
    Make a balance sheet - You cannot physically make a balance sheet, you can only prepare it.
    Find out - To me it is too vague. If your balance sheet is upside down you have a real problem. Try determine, analyze ...
    Good or bad - again too nondescript. Finances are not good or bad. A balance sheet shows a company's financial position at a specific time, your net worth.
    Are not useful to measure - You stated earlier that there is no accepted measure for intangibles. You elaborate. Make it short and to the point. These methods are no measures even though intangibles are listed as assets on your balance sheet.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree that 'it is accepted' is a filler- it is a statement of fact, rather than an opinion.
    'Big'- sure, use a synonym.
    'Find out'- I felt this was OK, because a balance sheet should show this directly, but your alternatives work fine too.
    I feel that finances can be good or bad.
    Are not useful to measure- a content issue- how would you resolve this?

englisha Guest

Thank you very much!!!!

Have a nice weekend!

A