[Vocabulary] what's the difference between sweater and jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rox7

Member Type
Student or Learner
hello

I'm used to using word "sweater" to name warm, knitted wool/cashmere/blend of materials piece of clothing for the upper body, with long sleeves used mainly in the winter.
But now I live in Denmark and some people call it "jersey" what I call "sweater"...

I thought "jersey" is only sports shirt...I am confused...

Can someone please explain me the difference? Or is it possible that in the U.S. what is called "sweater" here in Europe might be called "jersey".
Actually I think attaching some photos to explain the difference would be very helpful.
Thank You,

ESLs in Denmark

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
hello

I'm used to using word "sweater" to name warm, knitted wool/cashmere/blend of materials piece of clothing for the upper body, with long sleeves used mainly in the winter.
But now I live in Denmark and some people call it "jersey" what I call "sweater"...

I thought "jersey" is only sports shirt...I am confused...

Can someone please explain me the difference? Or is it possible that in the U.S. what is called "sweater" here in Europe might be called "jersey".
Actually I think attaching some photos to explain the difference would be very helpful.
Thank You,

ESLs in Denmark

A sweater is a jersey, a pullover and a jumper in BrE. A jersey can also be a shirt worn in sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.