Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I read the following sentence in an English book and wonder whether 'soundly' is correctly used in the sentence.

He kissed him soundly on his cheek.

I've referred to dictionaries,but its meanings don't seem to fit in.

Thanks in advance.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
I read the following sentence in an English book and wonder whether 'soundly' is correctly used in the sentence.

Thanks in advance.

Soundly in this context means "decisively" or "squarely."

indonesia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia
Manchester United were soundly beaten by Norwich last time they played!

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Thanks in advance.
I don't remember hearing or seeing "sound(ly)" modify 'kiss', and I wonder if other people have.
Adverbs like 'firmly' and 'heartily' come to mind.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
2006 wrote: "I don't remember hearing or seeing "sound(ly)" modify 'kiss', and I wonder if other people have."

I agree with 2006 that 'soundly' doesn't modify 'kiss'. The dictionaries make no reference to 'soundly' being used with or related to 'kiss'. The meanings of 'soundly', as I said in my first post on this topic, don't have any reference to 'kiss'.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
2006 wrote: "I don't remember hearing or seeing "sound(ly)" modify 'kiss', and I wonder if other people have."

I agree with 2006 that 'soundly' doesn't modify 'kiss'. The dictionaries make no reference to 'soundly' being used with or related to 'kiss'. The meanings of 'soundly', as I said in my first post on this topic, don't have any reference to 'kiss'.

What is "soundly" about?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What is "soundly" about?
"soundly" means 'convincingly', 'decisively', 'thoroughly' and is commonly used in sports, as in indonesia's example, and in other types of competition when one party decisively defeats its opponents.

The second common use of "soundly" is to describe sleep, where it means 'deeply'.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"soundly" means 'convincingly', 'decisively', 'thoroughly' and is commonly used in sports, as in indonesia's example, and in other types of competition when one party decisively defeats its opponents.

The second common use of "soundly" is to describe sleep, where it means 'deeply'.

Yes, I know what "soundly" means, I was asking what the OP was taking it to mean. I don't see any reason why "He kissed him soundly..." cannot be used.

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't remember hearing or seeing "sound(ly)" modify 'kiss', and I wonder if other people have.

I haven't either. (not "neither"!) :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I think your answer might come from a consideration of the fuller context. How old were the men involved? Were they in a homosexual relationship? What was their culture's attitude to men kissing? Had their relationship until that point been distant? I think the author's choice of 'soundly' conveyed something about the characters' attitude to all these questions. The kiss was done in a decisive (and indeed flamboyant) way: 'I know you don't think I should, but I'm going to anyway.'

I don't think it was a mistake. But, depending on the writer's grasp of English, 'soundly' might have been used (wrongly) to mean 'in a way that made a sound'. One way to say this would be 'He gave him a smacker, right on the cheek'. (A 'smacker', in Br English, means a loud kiss.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.