British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

fruitcakes

Member Type
Student or Learner
But I still want to know whether it is grammatical or not. I hate to be told that I wrote ungrammatical sentences. You said it is correct to say, " I had not arrived at a decision to read more, until I found a mistake yesterday." To invert the sentence, I get my sentence, which goes," Not until yesterday had I arrived at a decision to read more, when I was struck my grammatical mistake." Now I am getting into a dillema where I don't know if I should make alterations or not. To change the sentence make it feel like it was not written by me. Can I find a similar sentence structure in some old English novels like those written by Charles Dickesn?
Please be patient with me. I have another question. Can I open a novel with a sentence like this, " I was groping among the darkness, but I couldn't..." I didn't specify the time. Is that OK?
Thank you very much.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
But I still want to know whether it is grammatical or not. I hate to be told that I wrote ungrammatical sentences. You said it is correct to say, " I had not arrived at a decision to read more, until I found a mistake yesterday." To invert the sentence, I get my sentence, which goes," Not until yesterday had I arrived at a decision to read more, when I was struck my grammatical mistake." Now I am getting into a dillema where I don't know if I should make alterations or not. To change the sentence make it feel like it was not written by me. Can I find a similar sentence structure in some old English novels like those written by Charles Dickesn?
Please be patient with me. I have another question. Can I open a novel with a sentence like this, " I was groping among the darkness, but I couldn't..." I didn't specify the time. Is that OK?
Thank you very much.

As I have said, I find your original sentence awkward and difficult to understand, I didn't say it was ungrammatical. If you like it, keep it. I doubt very much that will find a sentence like that by Charles Dickens.
"I was groping in the darkness, but I couldn't..." This is fine.

fruitcakes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Is it awkward and difficult to understand because I didn't tell my readers clearly which one of the two acts happened first? Is it because the phrase, " not until " can never be used like that, with past perfect? Is there a grammatical rule which forbids this sentence structure?
If it is grammatical, I can accept the sentence, for it describes my thoughts honestly. In my original sentence, it does not include an intention to clarify which act occured first.
I am still debating with myself, whether I should make alterations or not.
Please answer my post.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Is it awkward and difficult to understand because I didn't tell my readers clearly which one of the two acts happened first? Is it because the phrase, " not until " can never be used like that, with past perfect? Is there a grammatical rule which forbids this sentence structure?
If it is grammatical, I can accept the sentence, for it describes my thoughts honestly. In my original sentence, it does not include an intention to clarify which act occured first.
I am still debating with myself, whether I should make alterations or not.
Please answer my post.

The structure is grammatically OK.

fruitcakes

Member Type
Student or Learner
So, my sentence will mislead people into thinking that my resolution preceded the grammatical mistake perhaps. Maybe they have no way of knowing which one of the two happened first. Is it the reason why you thought my sentence awkward?
When I was writing a sentence having the same structure as this one, I first thought of a wish that started long ago, then an act resulted from the wish, and finally sth that happened. I might have hinted at the fact that sth that happened was the trigger of my resolution, but I didn't make it very clear.
Please answer my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.