Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I understand dash, or --, is sometimes used as interruption in a sentence, but am not sure if I used it correctly in the following sentence.

This highlighted the pitfalls of interpreting realism as simply a measure of accuracy, or worse--sophistication.

What I want to express is that accuracy or sophistication is not what realism is all about. But of the two, misintepreting realism as a measure of sophistication is considered worse. So have I used the correct punctuations?

Thanks in advance.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't use it there. I'd keep with the comma and repeat the "as."

"... or (even) worse, as sophistication."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I understand dash, or --, is sometimes used as interruption in a sentence, but am not sure if I used it correctly in the following sentence.

This highlighted the pitfalls of interpreting realism as simply a measure of accuracy, or worse--sophistication.

What I want to express is that accuracy or sophistication is not what realism is all about. But of the two, misintepreting realism as a measure of sophistication is considered worse. So have I used the correct punctuations?

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't use a dash here either. You could use a dash as follows:
This highlighted the pitfalls of interpreting realism as simply a measure of these two concepts -- accuracy, and worse, sophistication.
That's a slightly awkward sentence, but it keeps 'accuracy' and 'sophistication' together, and is a correct use of a terminal dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.