Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you please reed-kellogg "The donuts cost one dollar APIECE." Thank you.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that the etymology of "apiece" will show that it was once a prepositional phrase meaning "by the piece". I would diagram it as such and split the "a-" from the "piece".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that the etymology of "apiece" will show that it was once a prepositional phrase meaning "by the piece". I would diagram it as such and split the "a-" from the "piece".
Thanks a million for the prompt response. What does "apiece" or " a piece" modify?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
"The donuts cost one dollar APIECE."
What does "apiece" or " a piece" modify?

apiece is an adverb. An adverb modifies either a verb, an adjective, or another adverb.

adverbs in the sentence: apiece
adjectives in the sentence: one
verbs in the sentence: cost

'apiece' does not modify itself. So we have narrowed the circle down to two words: one, cost. (Apiece X) dollar? No. Cost (X) apiece. 'apiece' modifies 'cost'.

QED. :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
apiece is an adverb. An adverb modifies either a verb, an adjective, or another adverb.

adverbs in the sentence: apiece
adjectives in the sentence: one
verbs in the sentence: cost

'apiece' does not modify itself. So we have narrowed the circle down to two words: one, cost. (Apiece X) dollar? No. Cost (X) apiece. 'apiece' modifies 'cost'.

QED. :)
Thanks a mil. Yes, almost everyone says that "apiece" modifies the verb. (Including a lady at the Oxford English Dictionary, to whom I had written.) I was fascinated by your mentioning "one." Someone well versed in grammar just recently mentioned that as a possibility. I may post a question in "Ask a Teacher," for one university professor raised the possibility that "apiece" actually modifies "one dollar." I know this issue is trivial. But it is good, clean fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.