Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 343
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Pronunciation - ate

    Hi Everybody,

    Tell me how do you pronounce the past tense of eat, "ate"? There are two versions of pronunciation I have ever heard before....

    WYH

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 173
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Pronunciation - ate

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Hi Everybody,

    Tell me how do you pronounce the past tense of eat, "ate"? There are two versions of pronunciation I have ever heard before....

    WYH
    What's wrong with the online dictionaries? you can get your answer there. Here is a link to Cambridge Dictionary in case you don't know.

  1. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,815
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Pronunciation - ate

    Or this one, which has someone to pronounce the words for us:

    Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus

    This one is even better, type the sentences and click the button:

    [web translator


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 343
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Pronunciation - ate

    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad View Post
    Or this one, which has someone to pronounce the words for us:

    Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus

    This one is even better, type the sentences and click the button:

    [web translator

    I just wanted to know, in the real world, how many people would pronounce "eɪt"and how many people would pronounce "et"?


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Pronunciation - ate

    I'm in the 'real world' and I pronounce it [et] or [ɛt]. I don't know how I would choose which I say, just depends on who I'm talking to I guess.

    I should point out here that I'm using IPA symbols. I've noticed that dictionaries use the vowel /e/ to represent the vowel I would write as /ɛ/. See this link for a pronunciation of the sounds.

    http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ip...lab/IPAlab.htm

    My accent is Scottish English, which has hardly any diphthongs.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 343
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Pronunciation - ate

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    I'm in the 'real world' and I pronounce it [et] or [ɛt]. I don't know how I would choose which I say, just depends on who I'm talking to I guess.

    I should point out here that I'm using IPA symbols. I've noticed that dictionaries use the vowel /e/ to represent the vowel I would write as /ɛ/. See this link for a pronunciation of the sounds.

    The International Phonetic Alphabet - Audio Illustrations

    My accent is Scottish English, which has hardly any diphthongs.
    Do you know how RP speakers pronounce ""eɪt" or "et"?

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Pronunciation - ate

    Quote Originally Posted by Williamyh View Post
    Do you know how RP speakers pronounce ""eɪt" or "et"?
    Extreme RP (the sort that omits the /l/ in "golf"), has /et/. Quite a few speakers of British English use the version with the diphthong. As extreme RP used to be drummed into schoolchildren, most (older) people alternate. As schools aren't like that any more, younger people use the diphthong. (When I said things like /et/ during my teaching practice, I was accused by the students of 'talking posh'.)

    b

Similar Threads

  1. Pronunciation of the sound "ae"
    By yangmuye in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Oct-2009, 16:32
  2. The best 5 websites to practice pronunciation
    By joshdowning in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-May-2009, 15:47
  3. The Pronunciation Rules and The Writing System
    By M.Mozaffary in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2009, 23:27
  4. standard british pronunciation
    By fobos3 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2008, 17:22
  5. Better ways to teach pronunciation.
    By elbe in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2007, 05:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •