Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
So suddenly there is a surge in the number of people; specially teenagers in the city – committing suicides in Mumbai. Do you believe it have increased suddenly? The fact is that it’s just another sensation created by the media after the 3 idiots movie. The media need some folder to keep there news business intact, to be more appropriate to keep people busy thinking on the topics, which they have had never though about. It’s just another case in point which showcases that the Indian news journalism, specially Hindi – lacks professionalism.

Kindly also tell me verb 'lack'(in the last sentence) agree with subject- it's just another case in point or the Indian news journalism? I think it's just another case in point

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
So suddenly there is a surge in the number of people; specially teenagerscommitting suicides in the city of (in) Mumbai! Do you believe it has (have) increased suddenly? The fact is that it’s just another sensation created by the media after the 3 idiots movie. The media need some folder to keep their news business intact, to be more specific/appropriate to keep people busy thinking on (the) topics, which they have had never thought of/about. It’s just another case in point which showcases that the Indian news journalism, specially Hindi – lacks professionalism.

Kindly also tell me verb 'lack'(in the last sentence) agree with subject- it's just another case in point or the Indian news journalism? I think it's just another case in point

‘it’ in the second sentence refers to ‘surge’ which is singular. ‘lacks’ agrees with its subject ‘journalism’ which is uncountable

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So suddenly there is a surge in the number of people; specially teenagers in the city – committing suicides in Mumbai. Do you believe it have increased suddenly? The fact is that it’s just another sensation created by the media after the 3 idiots movie. The media need some folder to keep there news business intact, to be more appropriate to keep people busy thinking on the topics, which they have had never though about. It’s just another case in point which showcases that the Indian news journalism, specially Hindi – lacks professionalism.

***NOT A TEACHER*** So suddenly there is a surge of suicides, especially among teenagers, in Mumbai. Do you think it has suddenly increased? It is actually a media-created sensation inspired by the release of a new movie. The media, anxious to stay in business, is constantly reporting news that people had not previously been interested in. This case further shows that Indian journalism, specifically the Hindi-language sector, lacks true professionalism.

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
‘it’ in the second sentence refers to ‘surge’ which is singular. ‘lacks’ agrees with its subject ‘journalism’ which is uncountable

Kindly correct me if I am wrong..

Do you believe it have increased suddenly?

I suppose 'have' is appropriate in the above sentence
because sentence starts with 'do'...or it need only to agree with surge as you said...

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Kindly correct me if I am wrong..

Do you believe it have increased suddenly?

I suppose 'have' is appropriate in the above sentence
because sentence starts with 'do'...or it need only to agree with surge as you said...

No, the sentence has two clauses.
1) Do you believe?
2) (that) it(=the surge) has increased suddenly. ('that' is a dropped here.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.