Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A respectable London daily has this headline: How the (name of another paper) makes serialisation pay. First, you buy the memoirs , then you slag them off." The deck (subhead) continues: (Name of woman celebrity whose memoirs are being serialized by X newspaper) is just the latest victim of a cost-effective strategy. Could someone please tell me what the verb "slag them off" means in that context? Does it mean something like "to criticize"? Thank you.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
A respectable London daily has this headline: How the (name of another paper) makes serialisation pay. First, you buy the memoirs , then you slag them off." The deck (subhead) continues: (Name of woman celebrity whose memoirs are being serialized by X newspaper) is just the latest victim of a cost-effective strategy. Could someone please tell me what the verb "slag them off" means in that context? Does it mean something like "to criticize"? Thank you.
Precisely
:up:

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
You're welcome.;-)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
ys most popular british slang from the most popular hip-pop songs
I don't spend a lot of time listening to hip-pop, but I imagine that usage is a related swear word meaning 'dirty/two-timing/unreliable/mean/worthless... [anything strongly negative, really] woman'; people still use the insult 'You slag' (addressed usually to a woman or an effeminate man). I believe this noun came before the phrasal verb; originally, one could only 'slag off' a woman. Now the verb has a life of its own, and doesn't have anything to do with sex.

b

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
that made me realise how I have been learning English::-(

If the OP had asked for the meaning of 'slag' (promiscuous woman) I would have to check a dictionary, but it was 'slag off', which means 'to criticise somebody'.

slag sb off

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:.... and there's also the original meaning of 'slag' - little used in the UK any more, as there's so little coal-mining. Each mine had one or more slag heaps, a pile of waste material. The collapse of a slag heap was involved Aberfan disaster in 1966 (Aberfan disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - I was at school at the time, but far enough away [several hundred miles] to stop me from claiming a narrow escape ;-)) I guess 'slag', to mean 'worthless woman', was coined because of an extension of the idea of worthlessness (waste matter on a slag heap).

b

Last edited:

indonesia

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Indonesia
It was a much used word in the part of Essex that I grew up in. :-o