Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    "I will tell thee in French, which I am sure will hang upon my tongue like a new-married wife about her husband's neck, hardly to be shook off. "
    Henry V

  2. #2
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    "I will tell thee in French, which I am sure will hang upon my tongue like a new-married wife about her husband's neck, hardly to be shook off. "
    Henry V
    Tomorrow, Frank. OK? I am in coma now. Tired.

  3. #3
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    You won't be able to do that one in a coma.

  4. #4
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    You won't be able to do that one in a coma.
    I can't do it anyway.
    Wait! I will work on it now.

  5. #5
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    No picnic.


  6. #6
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    Wow! Nice work!

    I think "to be shook" is passive voice and I am not so sure that it is an absolute phrase. Couldn't "that is" be understood before it and thereby connect it somehow to the understood "hangs"?

    Still, nice work!

  7. #7
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    Wow! Nice work!



    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    I think "to be shook" is passive voice
    So do I.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    and I am not so sure that it is an absolute phrase.
    I think it is.


    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    Couldn't "that is" be understood before it and thereby connect it somehow to the understood "hangs"?
    Wait a minute. No, I think not and I will tell you why. First, a comma is there. 'which' and not 'that' is used in non-reduced relative clauses. Second, the relative pronoun would refer back to the closest noun: neck. Not okay.

    Was sagen Sie darüber, Herr Frank?

  8. #8
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    Hier ist was ich denke daruber ---
    First, I'm in school and they still have not been able to unblock the images, so I am working from memory.
    Second, "hardly to be shook off" doesn't need the understood words I mentioned. It can directly modify "hangs". How does the wife hang? Answer, "to be shook off hardly"
    Third, I do not trust punctuation to acurately show syntax.
    Finally, I think you could have diagrammed the independent clause at the top, which is the way it is usually done.

  9. #9
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    Hier ist was ich denke daruber ---
    First, I'm in school and they still have not been able to unblock the images,
    You can unblock yourself. If you need instructions, whistle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    so I am working from memory.
    Second, "hardly to be shook off" doesn't need the understood words I mentioned. It can directly modify "hangs". How does the wife hang? Answer, "to be shook off hardly"
    Third, I do not trust punctuation to acurately show syntax.
    This part I see differently. Let us agree to disagree on this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Antonson View Post
    Finally, I think you could have diagrammed the independent clause at the top, which is the way it is usually done.
    That I do not believe firmly.

  10. #10
    Frank Antonson's Avatar
    Frank Antonson is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Diagramming Shakespeare 14

    The advantage is that when you go to reconstruct the sentence you can do it quicker if you expect the independent clause to be at the top.

    Also, as a rule, modifiers go under what they modify, and adjective and adverbial clauses are modifiers.

    Noun clauses are another matter.

Similar Threads

  1. Diagramming Shakespeare 13
    By Frank Antonson in forum Analysing and Diagramming Sentences
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-Jan-2010, 16:56
  2. Diagramming Shakespeare 10
    By Frank Antonson in forum Analysing and Diagramming Sentences
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2010, 11:27
  3. Diagramming Shakespeare 8
    By Frank Antonson in forum Analysing and Diagramming Sentences
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2010, 05:40
  4. Diagramming Shakespeare 3
    By Frank Antonson in forum Analysing and Diagramming Sentences
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-Dec-2009, 14:40
  5. Diagramming Shakespeare
    By Frank Antonson in forum Analysing and Diagramming Sentences
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2009, 20:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •