[General] What does that IPA symbol stand for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawood Usmani

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi teachers!
I would like to know what that "t" in italics mean in IPA. Please see the link below.
Cambridge Dictionary

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this case it means that an (inessential) [t] sometimes occurs between the /n/ and the /s/. (I'm not sure though whether it's strictly an IPA symbol.)

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS For a look at the mechanics, go to Phonetics: The sounds of American English, and click on the US flag. (Don't worry if you want British English; there's more difference in the vowels than in the consonants, and as far as /ns/ is concerned any difference is tiny.) Then click "nasal" and "n". Do the same for "fricative" and "s".

b

Dawood Usmani

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thanks for your reply Bob but I haven't yet been able to understand whether to pronounce that "t" or not. Does that mean we have options. We can either pronounce it or leave it out?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for your reply Bob but I haven't yet been able to understand whether to pronounce that "t" or not. Does that mean we have options. We can either pronounce it or leave it out?

Yes, that's correct. 'Answer' could be:

/'ænsə/
/'ɑnsə/

or the ones you gave with /t/.

I would say in narrow phonetic script, the examples from the link you gave is more an affrication of /t/ and /s/ - that is, they are pronounced so closely together that they are virtually one sound. /ʧ/ for example, is an affrication of /t/ and /ʃ/. Phoneticians don't agree whether this should indeed have its own symbol or not. There is a symbol in the IPA chart which allows affrication of any consonants - a bracket joining the two sounds. Thus, 'answer' should be:

/'ɑːnt͡sə/ - the affrication of the /t/ and /s/ is shown.

But yes, with or without the /t/.

Status
Not open for further replies.