some advices for improving my english SPEAKING skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozx20a

Member Type
Student or Learner
Currently i'm trying to improve my English, especially my speaking skills, i also signed up to a english learning course.
But i am feeling confident and a little bit nervous when i speak english with other students, some of them feel the same, i just forget all the words, and i only use the main words of english so the result is a very poor english conversation. I am quite good at writing, grammar and even listening, i don't face any problems on these, but when i try to speak english i am like i discovered the english language 1 month for now.

So what would you recommend me to do? i know a way is to speak with other people in english, i talk at the english course with other persons but i don't feel any changes, i am more and more confident.
I read and listen english texts almost everyday, so i feel how my vocabulary and pronunciation are improving.. but i can't say the same about the speaking part. :-?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Judging from your writing, you are more than just a rough diamond. Get yourself on a confident high. You are cool. A little bit of nip and tuck in your grammar and you will be the king of the castle. Read and speak every day.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I am quite good at writing, grammar and even listening

I guess the greater portion of your problem may be about this "even". You should excessively listen and watch the audio-visual products (TV/Radio shows ,movies, albums, etc.) made in English-speaking countries. It is quite important to be familiar with the speaking of the native-speakers.

Another thing to be considered is that in the process of English-learning, the pronunciation often ignored or regarded as the last thing to be taught (at least,I think so). A good pronunciation gives the user the confidence to speak a foreign language. So, you should review your pronunciation to see if you have a good one or not. Use a dictionary that contains the pronunciation symbols for the words you want to learn (and for the ones you assumed having known).

And while doing what I have just mentioned above, keep on speaking with your course-mates and your teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.