how do i diagram this sentence

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 4,135
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

My father's overalls and farm shirt are hanging behind the barn door and dripping on the horse's mane

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
My father's overalls and farm shirt are hanging behind the barn door and dripping on the horse's mane

barndoor.gif

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You forgot to capitalize "My", the "are" you could put before the simple predicate splits and that way not have to have an understood "are", and I would suggest that you use parentheses only for appositives.
Still, as ever, you do good work. Nice to be diagramming an easy sentence!

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
You forgot to capitalize "My", the "are" you could put before the simple predicate splits and that way not have to have an understood "are", and I would suggest that you use parentheses only for appositives.
Still, as ever, you do good work. Nice to be diagramming an easy sentence!

I used the parentheses and not X's because I wanted to make sure the OP understood the missing words. In a competition, I would not be seen dead ill-using parentheses. 'My' is okay. REgarding 'are', in my view, this is a matter of taste. Thanks for the comments, Frank
adore.gif
;-)

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You know, I think I realized that about your parentheses, you courteous fellow.
The "are" however is not a matter of taste. It is a mistake. It governs both main verbs and does not need to be repeated.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You know, I think I knew that about your parentheses because you are such a courteous fellow.

The "are", however, is a mistake. It governs both main verbs and does not need to be repeated.

(I thought I posted this once already, but I will try again.)

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
My father's overalls and farm shirt are hanging behind the barn door and are dripping on the horse's mane. :tick:

The second 'are' may be ellipted.

QED:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.