Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Older than me or I

Adding together the numerical values that denote the length of his lifespan in years and minus one times mine, we would get a number bigger than zero.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kondorosi View Post
    Adding together the numerical values that denote the length of his lifespan in years and minus one times mine, we would get a number bigger than zero.
    Exactly!

kfredson is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    He is older than me.
    He is older than I am.
    He is older than I.
    (I what?? - Example: He is older than I thought )

Tdol, theoretically everything is possible, but correct grammar is always welcome

Cheers!
    If you accept "He is older than me" then you must accept "He is older than I."

You indicate that "He is older than I" requires another word, such as "thought." If that were the case, then it would equally be true of "He is older than me."

Of course, that would sound very incorrect. The reality is that "He is older than me" is actually incorrect for that very reason. The sentence requires a subject ("I") and not an object ("me.)

Now, you will hear people use "me" but most people will know it is a colloquialism and not, in fact, grammatically correct.

To many people, both versions sound incorrect. Hence, we would say "He is older than I am."

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"He is older than me" is grammatically incorrect? Then most of us are wrong.

Kondorosi is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    If you accept "He is older than me" then you must accept "He is older than I."
    You indicate that "He is older than I" requires another word, such as "thought." If that were the case, then it would equally be true of "He is older than me."

He is correct to state that after 'I' there has to be something. He might not know, however, that something is there, actually, that something is understood but has been removed via resort to ellipsis of the whole predicate. The preposition 'than' followed by a pronoun in objective case, on the other hand, makes the sentence complete, he might think with partial, if not full, justification, especially if we take into account that the only minute detail that Nightmare, our indomitable warrior, is missing is the fact that by origin, 'than' is a subordinating conjunction and not a preposition. Even though it is ill-founded, I have to hand it to Nightmare that his logic has its moments.

Post Thanks / Like

Same case must be compared in a sentence.

He is older than I.

"He and "I both are Nominative

He is older than me

"He" is nominative while "I " is Accusative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    "He is older than me" is grammatically incorrect? Then most of us are wrong.

But it is incorrect. That is not to say that I haven't used "me" in such a context many times. I might also tell you that I feel "pretty good" today. However, while it is fine that we take liberties with the grammar in everyday speech, on this forum it is important to be consistent with the grammatical rules. Both "he" and "I" are in the nominative case.

It actually does become clearer when we consider that the sentence is actually short for "He is older than I am." We can very naturally and correctly drop off the "am." But what if we try to then complete the sentence: "He is older than me"? What word would you use: "am" or "is"? Clearly we can't use either one. The original sentence is simply incorrect.

I'd appreciate your further thoughts on this. You may well have a better command of the language than me.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd appreciate your further thoughts on this. You may well have a better command of the language than me.
    I don't think it's a matter of having a better command of language.
    But your point about what should be taught as being correct on this forum is a good one. Consistency is also always a good thing.
    But where is the virtue in teaching that "He is older than me" is wrong when everybody says it? It's similar to the singular "they". If learners are going to actually speak English (rather than just doing grammar exams) they want to know how they should say something.

Since "He is older than me" is accepted by educated people in all major English speaking countries (on present evidence), then this should be considered an exception to the rule, rather than being called "incorrect".
    Grammar describes how a language works. Although grammar has a useful prescriptive function, and one that teachers and students should respect, the majority usage of a term such as this makes it idiomatic, and hence not "incorrect".

At least that's my viewpoint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of having a better command of language.
    But your point about what should be taught as being correct on this forum is a good one. Consistency is also always a good thing.
    But where is the virtue in teaching that "He is older than me" is wrong when everybody says it? It's similar to the singular "they". If learners are going to actually speak English (rather than just doing grammar exams) they want to know how they should say something.

Since "He is older than me" is accepted by educated people in all major English speaking countries (on present evidence), then this should be considered an exception to the rule, rather than being called "incorrect".
    Grammar describes how a language works. Although grammar has a useful prescriptive function, and one that teachers and students should respect, the majority usage of a term such as this makes it idiomatic, and hence not "incorrect".

At least that's my viewpoint.
    I fully agree. Your point is very well taken. But isn't it important to point out the rule, while at the same time explaining that the common use of "me" has become an acceptable exception?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree. Your point is very well taken. But isn't it important to point out the rule, while at the same time explaining that the common use of "me" has become an acceptable exception?
    Yes, I agree. It's a matter of where you lay the importance. I think this thread has explained the truth of the matter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast