" A little bird told me" -> What is the idoms meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phinamdl

Member Type
Student or Learner
I read a funny story. and have a idoms "A little bird told me" but don't know what does it tell to about ? Can you explain this idoms. I translated it but I think the meaning of this idoms don't have that meaning . Thanks in advance

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"A little bird told me" is a way of indicating that you do not want to reveal who told you something. (Sometimes used playfully, when you think that the person you are addressing knows or can guess who was the source of your information.) Jill: Thank you for the beautiful present! How did you know I wanted a green silk scarf? Jane: A little bird told me. Bill: How did you find out it was my birthday? Jane: A little bird told me.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
"A little bird told me" is a way of indicating that you do not want to reveal who told you something. (Sometimes used playfully, when you think that the person you are addressing knows or can guess who was the source of your information.) Jill: Thank you for the beautiful present! How did you know I wanted a green silk scarf? Jane: A little bird told me. Bill: How did you find out it was my birthday? Jane: A little bird told me.

Interesting! In Portuguese this very same expression has this very same meaning. It is rare to find such examples, usually you have an equivalent, but somewhat different, saying with the same meaning.

I wonder if there are other languages in wich it works too.

Idun

Member Type
Academic
We have that expression in Swedish too, and the similar one "a little bird whispered in my ear".

Idun - the norse goddess of love and knowledge

Last edited:

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Interesting! In Portuguese this very same expression has this very same meaning. It is rare to find such examples, usually you have an equivalent, but somewhat different, saying with the same meaning.

Yeah, interesting...In Persian we say, "a little crow gave me the news!"...and I don't get why the crow did so?! ;-)

kruti

Member Type
Academic
In India, We also say that, whenever a crow sits in the balcony, it means there will be a guest at home by evening. It sounds interesting, you may call one kind of myth also. After all depends on your believes.

Ralaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
In Arabic We have that expression too, and the similar one "a green bird told me".;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.