• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to thinking in english....???

phinamdl,
    Here's my opinion, based on just the little bit of writing that I saw in your question. I don't think that you should expect yourself to be thinking in English yet. I think that you will need to spend more time studying the language. How much more time? Probably another 500 hours. That includes the time that you spend watching English movies, studying vocabulary, practicing writing to people, and maybe speaking with a tutor or language partner.

The method probably doesn't matter too much, as long as you keep a good balance. 500 hours spent just studying the dictionary probably won't make you fluent. You need to use a variety of sources.

I believe that what makes us fluent is very simple. It's having a lot of knowledge about the language, with all the pieces connected directly to each other.

How do you connect pieces directly? By noticing patterns. Which words are usually used together? I started my last paragraph with the words "I believe that..." This is a common phrase that often comes up. Remember that phrase. Don't just remember each word by itself.

The other thing is to keep reviewing the things that you've learned. To be fluent and start to think in English, it's better to know a small handful of language really well than to try to learn as many words as you can but not have a strong understanding of how they're used.

So keep working. Keep studying for 500 more hours and then if you still have problems, come back and let us know what you're having trouble with.

~Phrasemix

mara_ce is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
    Prologued contact with a language makes it quite possible to think in it too.
    I agree with you. It's possible to think in English. I only think in my native language when I'm talking with someone in Spanish, of course.

mydragon is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: How to thinking in english....???

I believe we can think in english, but it is really difficult! In the past year, I listen english program every day and read a lot of english articles, but I can not thinking in english. Sometimes I was so depressed as I can't find somebody to communicate in english. if only we communicate with others in english we can learn english quickly!

clevercells is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phinamdl View Post
    When I practise to speak english. I always repare a sentence with a native language then I translate it to english to speak.

I knew it wrong for speaking english. But how to thinking in english. Plz give me advice. Thanks in advance
    I think there are two ways to think in english,the first one is to have vocabulary that can allow you to think and speak easily without using another vocabulary that won't be the exact one, and the second way is when you don't understand something like word,idea or so on try to look for its definition in english not in your language,I know it won't be easy but making effort will make your language perfect.

Abstract Idea is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I, and many others here, have already stated it is perfectly possible for a nonnative English speaker to think in English. There are plenty of methods to do that, just keep on studying and practicing and soon the results will come.

But I would like to add that a study of linguistics, both regarding L1 acquisition and L2 learning, might shed some light on this topic. I strongly advise anyone interested on this subject to read something serious linguistic researchers have to say about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2