Results 1 to 5 of 5

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Challenge question

    "...no kin and no land and no friend and no cup and no hearth..."

    1. Can you tell me which language the above phrase is in.
    2. Can you tell me what it says......and.....
    3. Can you tell me what it means

    (PS: what you "say" is not always what you "mean")

    This question is from my friend and he challenges me to solve it. Also, he said that I am free to use any source.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 576
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Challenge question

    Quote Originally Posted by prince! View Post
    "...no kin and no land and no friend and no cup and no hearth..."

    1. Can you tell me which language the above phrase is in.
    2. Can you tell me what it says......and.....
    3. Can you tell me what it means

    (PS: what you "say" is not always what you "mean")

    This question is from my friend and he challenges me to solve it. Also, he said that I am free to use any source.
    (Not a teacher)

    1. English.
    2. It says what it says.
    3. It doesn't mean anything. It's just a list of things/objects, negated by 'no'.

    That's the best I could come up with.

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Challenge question

    The person has no relatives, owns no property, is friends with nobody, owns nothing, and has no place to rest his weary head.



    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Challenge question

    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    (Not a teacher)

    1. English.
    2. It says what it says.
    3. It doesn't mean anything. It's just a list of things/objects, negated by 'no'.

    That's the best I could come up with.
    Thanks a lot.


    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Challenge question

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    The person has no relatives, owns no property, is friends with nobody, owns nothing, and has no place to rest his weary head.

    It seems the best possible answer.
    Thanks.


Similar Threads

  1. Can we use this tense in a question?
    By riceball72 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2008, 02:58
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2006, 00:38
  3. Question about answer, reply,take care ...
    By JJD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2006, 04:24
  4. Types of question
    By Jupiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2006, 12:33
  5. Language Question ???
    By j4mes_bond25 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2006, 09:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •