Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi there,
Is the following reported time reference correct?

Paul said, 'I am going to leave here tomorrow.'
Paul said that he was going to leave the day after.

tks
pete

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hi there,

tks
pete

Yes, he is going to leave the day after the current day, that is, tomorrow. I hope I have understood what it is that you mean here.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there,

tks
pete

I think ‘here’ is a misconstrued word in the direct speech. The underlined expression being a future form of ‘will’ followed by ‘leave’ a transitive verb, the word following it should be the object. In that case ‘here’ can not be an adverb when there is already an adverbial time expression ‘tomorrow. So either ‘here’ can be replaced by a noun or prepositional phrase such as ‘at 6 o’clock’ or treated as a noun to mean “this place’. So rightly the adverbial time expression can be changed to the day after or the next day. You can say:

Paul said that he was going to/would leave this place/at 6 o’clock the day after/the next day.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi there,

tks
pete

Not necessarily: although English has rules of tense concord (requiring here 'was' rather than 'is', at least for formal/careful usage), there are no corresponding rules of "adverbial concord". If the day in question can still, at the time of reporting, be called 'tomorrow', then the word can remain unaffected. We would reserve such relative terms as 'the day after' (or, better still 'the next/following day') for cases where the original utterance took place further back in the past.

The same applies to any adverbials of place: it would be quite ridiculous for a speaker to refer, for almost any reason, to his/her current location as 'there'!

Status
Not open for further replies.