Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Accent and Regional dialects

    Hi,

    What's difference between accent and regional dialects?

  2. #2
    1984law's Avatar
    1984law is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Lightbulb Re: Accent and Regional dialects

    Quote Originally Posted by taghavi View Post
    Hi,

    What's difference between accent and regional dialects?
    Hi, taghavi
    I'm sure that in your country there are dialects. Try to think about people in villages or parts of your coutnry, that they use different words, different expressions compared to the official language - the language everyone is supposed to understand. Dialect means different expressions, differenet verbs and most of the times different accent.
    Accent is the way one pronounces the language. Here are two examples. Scottish people have a different dialect compared to Queen's English. They use their own expressions, verbs and they have a different pronounciation.
    An example of accent now. In my country we have in the North and South different accents. In the North they pronounce the l very strongly whereas in the South, mildly.
    I'm sure you can think of a dialect in your country.

    Hope I have been helpful

  3. #3
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Accent and Regional dialects

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984law View Post
    Hi, taghavi
    I'm sure that in your country there are dialects. Try to think about people in villages or parts of your coutnry, that they use different words, different expressions compared to the official language - the language everyone is supposed to understand. Dialect means different expressions, differenet verbs and most of the times different accent.
    Accent is the way one pronounces the language. Here are two examples. Scottish people have a different dialect compared to Queen's English. They use their own expressions, verbs and they have a different pronounciation.
    An example of accent now. In my country we have in the North and South different accents. In the North they pronounce the l very strongly whereas in the South, mildly.
    I'm sure you can think of a dialect in your country.

    Hope I have been helpful
    Hi,
    However, sometimes regional dialects lead to phonological distinction. What do you think?

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Accent and Regional dialects

    Quote Originally Posted by taghavi View Post
    Hi,

    What's difference between accent and regional dialects?
    One obvious difference is that 'accent' only refers to the sounds in a dialect. And you know that phonology is only one level of linguistics.

  5. #5
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Accent and Regional dialects

    Quote Originally Posted by taghavi View Post
    Hi,
    However, sometimes regional dialects lead to phonological distinction. What do you think?
    Among other things.
    Also, we are seeing in the UK the spread of supra-regional sounds-the glottal stop, associated with London, is now heard all over the place.

  6. #6
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Accent and Regional dialects

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Among other things.
    Also, we are seeing in the UK the spread of supra-regional sounds-the glottal stop, associated with London, is now heard all over the place.
    Hi,
    Sorry I am not sure if I get your and Ray's point. I don't know how I can recognize such a difference.

  7. #7
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Accent and Regional dialects

    Quote Originally Posted by taghavi View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry I am not sure if I get your and Ray's point. I don't know how I can recognize such a difference.
    Since a regional dialect can be characterized by it's phonetic, morphological, syntactic and semantic features, it cannot be the same as 'accent', which only describes the sounds of a dialect.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect
    "A dialect is distinguished by its vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation (phonology, including prosody). Where a distinction can be made only in terms of pronunciation, the term accent is appropriate, not dialect."

  8. #8
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Accent and Regional dialects

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Since a regional dialect can be characterized by it's phonetic, morphological, syntactic and semantic features, it cannot be the same as 'accent', which only describes the sounds of a dialect.

    Dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "A dialect is distinguished by its vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation (phonology, including prosody). Where a distinction can be made only in terms of pronunciation, the term accent is appropriate, not dialect."
    Thank you very much for making it easier for me to understand.

  9. #9
    Linguist__ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Accent and Regional dialects

    To add to the discussion, 'dialect' is comparable to 'language' more than accent. As was said, accent is merely the sounds.

    A 'language' is a communication system which is idiosyncratic to a group of people, and which can only be understood by those people. So, a person who knows the English language cannot communicate using language to a person who knows the Shona language.

    A 'dialect' is a communication system which is also idiosyncratic to a group of people. It differs from language in that other members of other groups can understand each other's 'dialect', but again someone who doesn't know the language cannot know the dialects of a language either.

    The boundary between language and dialect isn't always clear. 'Scots' for example, is debated whether it is a seperate language. Even those close to those who speak Scots (i.e English people) have difficulty understanding it. I believe some films that use Scots dialogue have subtitles when shown in England. It isn't just about understanding of course, but also etymology and how the language has developed. A lot of Scots comes not only from English, but also the Gaelic language and from Scandanavia as a result of the Vikings - the Scots word 'bairn' meaning child, for example, when the word in Norwegian/Icelandic/Swedish is 'barn'.

    Another example of an unclear boundary is between Norwegian and Swedish. As far as I'm aware, these languages are really dialects of each other, and the distinction to make them seperate languages is a political one rather than a linguistic one. Perhaps someone can clarify, but is there mutual understanding between a Norwegian person and a Swedish person. similar to what would be expected between a person from Wales and a person from New Zealand, for example?

    Some dialects are more like the language they stem from, others are closer to being a completely different language. Indeed, there is no doubt that new languages form from initially being a dialect of a language and developing seprately.
    Last edited by Linguist__; 28-Jan-2010 at 15:48.

  10. #10
    Ever Student's Avatar
    Ever Student is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Accent and Regional dialects

    Hello,
    Thank you so much for your explanation. I've learned alot.


    Quote Originally Posted by Linguist__ View Post
    To add to the discussion, 'dialect' is comparable to 'language' more than accent. As was said, accent is merely the sounds.

    A 'language' is a communication system which is idiosyncratic to a group of people, and which can only be understood by those people. So, a person who knows the English language cannot communicate using language to a person who knows the Shona language.

    A 'dialect' is a communication system which is also idiosyncratic to a group of people. It differs from language in that other members of other groups can understand each other's 'dialect', but again someone who doesn't know the language cannot know the dialects of a language either.

    Sorry, I am reading Fromkin and I refer to her book; "it is not always easy to understand whether "the systematic differences" between two speech communities reflect two dialects or two languages.. when dialects become mutually unintelligible- when the speakers of one dialect group can no longer understand the speaker of another dialect group- these dialects become different "languages".

    The boundary between language and dialect isn't always clear. 'Scots' for example, is debated whether it is a seperate language. Even those close to those who speak Scots (i.e English people) have difficulty understanding it. I believe some films that use Scots dialogue have subtitles when shown in England. It isn't just about understanding of course, but also etymology and how the language has developed. A lot of Scots comes not only from English, but also the Gaelic language and from Scandanavia as a result of the Vikings - the Scots word 'bairn' meaning child, for example, when the word in Norwegian/Icelandic/Swedish is 'barn'.

    Another example of an unclear boundary is between Norwegian and Swedish. As far as I'm aware, these languages are really dialects of each other, and the distinction to make them seperate languages is a political one rather than a linguistic one. Perhaps someone can clarify, but is there mutual understanding between a Norwegian person and a Swedish person. similar to what would be expected between a person from Wales and a person from New Zealand, for example? Actually, Are you going to mention that the same/similar "dialects" may produce near distance among different languages?

    Some dialects are more like the language they stem from, others are closer to being a completely different language. Indeed, there is no doubt that new languages form from initially being a dialect of a language and developing seprately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] What is Neutral Accent?
    By anupumh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2009, 12:24
  2. How to learn an accent?
    By unfer in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2009, 14:43
  3. Learning an english accent - where to start?
    By Travelsonic in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2009, 15:08
  4. Learning "plummy" accent ???
    By j4mes_bond25 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2007, 07:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •