Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Snappy is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Suitable adjectives to make sentences clearer

    Are there any suitable adjectives that I can use before "letter" in the following sentence to add the meaning that each letter was different in content?

    1. "We sent a letter each to our customers."

    Similarly, are there any suitable adjectives that I can use before "book" or "representative" in the following sentences to add the meaning that these books are different from one another or the representatives are different from one another?

    2. I sent a book each to Tom and Bill.
    3. The company sent a representative each to its customers.
    Last edited by Snappy; 30-Jan-2010 at 13:31.

  2. #2
    TheParser is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Suitable adjectives to make sentences clearer

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
    Are there any suitable adjectives that I can use before "letter" in the following sentence to add the meaning that each letter was different in content?

    1. "We sent a letter each to our customers."

    Similarly, are there any suitable adjectives that I can use before "book" or "representative" in the following sentences to add the meaning that these books are different from one another or the representatives are different from one another?

    2. I sent a book each to Tom and Bill.
    3. The company sent a representative each to its customers.
    ***NOT A TEACHER***Maybe: (1) We sent a personalized letter each to our customers. (2) I sent a distinct book each to Tom and Bill.

  3. #3
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: Suitable adjectives to make sentences clearer

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
    Are there any suitable adjectives that I can use before "letter" in the following sentence to add the meaning that each letter was different in content?

    1. "We sent a personal letter to each of our customers
    ."

    Similarly, are there any suitable adjectives that I can use before "book" or "representative" in the following sentences to add the meaning that these books are different from one another or the representatives are different from one another?

    2. I sent a dissimilar book each to Tom and Bill.

    3. The company sent a separate representative to each of its customers.
    You can try these words. May be better suggections may come from others.

  4. #4
    Snappy is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Suitable adjectives to make sentences clearer

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    You can try these words. May be better suggections may come from others.
    Thank you.

    Are these adjectives interchangeable or is there an interchangeable adjective that I can use in those cases?

    For example, can I replace "pesonal," "dissimilar," and "separate" with the adjective "different" or "individual" as follows?:

    1. We sent a different (or an individual) letter to each of our customers.
    2. I sent a different (or an individual) book each to Tom and Bill.
    3. The company sent a different (or an individual) representative to each of its customers.

  5. #5
    sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Re: Suitable adjectives to make sentences clearer

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
    Thank you.

    Are these adjectives interchangeable or is there an interchangeable adjective that I can use in those cases?

    For example, can I replace "pesonal," "dissimilar," and "separate" with the adjective "different" or "individual" as follows?:

    1. We sent a different (or an individual) letter to each of our customers.
    2. I sent a different (or an individual) book each to Tom and Bill.
    3. The company sent a different (or an individual) representative to each of its customers.
    I think ‘different’ can go with 2 and 3 but not with 1. I would consider the suggestion by Theparser as the best for 1. ‘Individual’ may mean different but it is usually used in relation to single, separate person or thing; as:
    We deal with each case on an individual basis.

  6. #6
    euncu's Avatar
    euncu is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Suitable adjectives to make sentences clearer

    Where are our respectivists?

  7. #7
    TheParser is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Suitable adjectives to make sentences clearer

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
    Thank you.

    Are these adjectives interchangeable or is there an interchangeable adjective that I can use in those cases?

    For example, can I replace "pesonal," "dissimilar," and "separate" with the adjective "different" or "individual" as follows?:

    1. We sent a different (or an individual) letter to each of our customers.
    2. I sent a different (or an individual) book each to Tom and Bill.
    3. The company sent a different (or an individual) representative to each of its customers.
    ***NOT A TEACHER***How about: We sent an individually tailored/worded letter to each of our customers. How about: We sent a customized letter to each of our customers. (customized = suited to a particular individual.)

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Suitable adjectives to make sentences clearer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    (1) We sent a personalized letter each to our customers.
    This is the best answer, in my opinion.

  9. #9
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21,657
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Suitable adjectives to make sentences clearer

    [QUOTE=TheParser;560141]***NOT A TEACHER***Maybe: (1) We sent a personalized letter each to our customers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    This is the best answer, in my opinion.
    I agree, you could also say: "We sent a personalised letter to each of our customers".

Similar Threads

  1. Example Sentences for English Words
    By sonicstaars in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-May-2010, 02:44
  2. [General] Which are the suitable adjectives?
    By maral55 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Jun-2009, 15:59
  3. adj/verb
    By rajlakh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2006, 20:52
  4. Please make these sentences grammatical!
    By spoon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-Jul-2006, 22:53
  5. order of adjectives
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2005, 12:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk