Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

Nothing particularly important, but I'd like to know your opinion, dear Teachers...:)

'Dogfight' is a close-range aerial combat situation when the opponents manoeuvre so as to place themselves on the enemy plane's vulnerable 'six o'clock' position to get a good shooting angle....

But 'dogfight' can also be used as a verb, with a gerund form, and so on. Now, my question is whether the correct past form should be 'dogfought' or 'dogfighted' :?:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Thomas,
I've never seen this used as a verb. It's a noun, first and foremost. (I don't disagree that you can find a listing for it as a verb, but it's not used that way.)

I would suggest "got into a dogfight" as a past verb.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

But, if you had to use it as a verb, or choose the correct one, then 'dogfought' would be correct.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Wow! That was lightning-fast!... :)

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen.

I'm a big fan of WWII military aviation history (Battle of Britain, Pacific Theatre, etc.) Now I've realised that, indeed, even though I must have read and heard the word a thousand times, I've never come across its direct verb form, just the gerund ("Dogfighting a Zero was always an experience..."), that's why I thought it functioned as a typical verb... :oops:

A good lesson of dogfighting... ;-) :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Nothing particularly important, but I'd like to know your opinion, dear Teachers...:)

'Dogfight' is a close-range aerial combat situation when the opponents manoeuvre so as to place themselves on the enemy plane's vulnerable 'six o'clock' position to get a good shooting angle....

But 'dogfight' can also be used as a verb, with a gerund form, and so on. Now, my question is whether the correct past form should be 'dogfought' or 'dogfighted' :?:
***NOT A TEACHER***Tomasz, I googled and learned that the military guys say "dogfighted." Thank you.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Ooops!... Terribly sorry for confusing a mod's gender, Barb_D I owe you my sincere apologies :oops:.

TheParser: thanks a lot. I take it that since 'dogfight' is, to a degree, a coined word, the usual rules of 'irregular-compound-if-the-simple-irregular' may not apply ;-)

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since most of my knowledge of dogfighting comes from an old TV show called "Black Sheep Squadron" and the movie "Top Gun" (where I paid a lot more attention to the beach volleyball scene -- if you had any doubts about my gender), I don't claim to be an expert. However, I would think that if you were talking to an average person, and said "got into a dogfight" instead of "dogfighted" you'll have more people pay attention to WHAT you say instead of HOW you said it.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Barb_D: I carefully study and digest all replies, they're extremely valuable to me as they show a native speaker's approach to the linguistic phenomenon in question, and their feeling what sounds 'right and what might sound 'odd'.

And I am very grateful for any and all (relevant) replies. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You may enjoy that old series, by the way. It's about the Fighting Tigers in the days before official US involvement in WWII.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks, I'll certainly try to find the series you've mentioned :)

Status
Not open for further replies.