Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Quote:
"

• Do not use 'very' with adjectives that express an increased quality of a basic adjective Example: good - fantastic
NOT!!: She is a very beautiful woman"

It means 'very beautiful' is wrong?
Thank you. ;-)

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Quote:
"

• Do not use 'very' with adjectives that express an increased quality of a basic adjective Example: good - fantastic
NOT!!: She is a very beautiful woman"

It means 'very beautiful' is wrong?
Thank you. ;-)

'very beautiful' is a correct collocation.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Quote:
"

We say 'very good'. We tend not to use 'very' when an adjective is ungradable, though this is not an absolute rule. Try using a weaker modifier like 'fairly'- if this doesn't work, then avoid using 'very'. 'She is a very beautiful woman' is a perfectly natural sentence to me.

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
What about 'very fantastic'? By the way the quote is from an esl teacher's online tutorial that I came across. Unfortunately I didn't save the address.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What about 'very fantastic'? By the way the quote is from an esl teacher's online tutorial that I came across. Unfortunately I didn't save the address.
***NOT A TEACHER***Yes, that advice comes from a very reputable and usually reliable English-learning website, which shall remain unnamed (nobody is perfect).

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Nooo, there IS a name. Even a photograph of him with a big smile. The part that I quote made me surprised, because I think it's allright. But he's the teacher, and that is the reason I posted this thread in the first place. Amen, nobody is perfect, and we can still make the most basic mistakes of all even after those years of learning and expertise.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nooo, there IS a name. Even a photograph of him with a big smile. The part that I quote made me surprised, because I think it's allright. But he's the teacher, and that is the reason I posted this thread in the first place. Amen, nobody is perfect, and we can still make the most basic mistakes of all even after those years of learning and expertise.
***NOT A TEACHER***vredes, good morning. "His website shall remain unnamed" is a nice way that native speakers use when they know the name but don't want to tell anyone. I don't want to embarrass that teacher. His website has helped many people. When I read his "very beautiful" comment a few years ago, I was astounded, too.
Thank you.

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia

vredes

Member Type