Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: This vs That

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    This vs That

    Good afternoon,

    I would like to pick your mind about the following subject. I have read the following phrases (It's an extarct of the NPR site on the web), see below:

    The deficit for this year would surge to a record-breaking $1.6 trillion, according to a congressional official who had access to a White House summary document. That deficit would easily top last year's then unprecedented $1.41 trillion gap.

    My question is why instead of the word that (in bold character) the writer has not use the demonstrative pronoun this.

    Do you have an idea?

    Thanks in advance.

    The Frenchie guy who try to improve its English level.


  1. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: This vs That

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post


    The Frenchie guy who tries to improve its English level.

    I'm sorry, I cannot answer your question, but I felt free to correct this small mistake

    Cheers!

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: This vs That

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    I'm sorry, I cannot answer your question, but I felt free to correct this small mistake

    Cheers!
    Thanks for your correction it's a big and stupid mistake.

    Have a nice day and see you soon on the forum.

  2. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,307
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: This vs That

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    it's a big and stupid mistake.
    go easy on yourself.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: This vs That

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    go easy on yourself.
    Hi Euncu,

    I made a big mistake. Do you have an anwer about my fisrt question?

    Cordially,

  3. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: This vs That

    I guess we all make mistakes =)
    Don't worry about it.

    Once I was very frustrated when I lost a match, and I wrote:
    "We one anyway!" instead of "We won anyway"

    P.S.

    The Frenchie guy who tries to improve his English level.

    You are a guy, that's why I would have used his.

    Cheers!


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: This vs That

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Good afternoon,

    I would like to pick your mind about the following subject. I have read the following phrases (It's an extarct of the NPR site on the web), see below:

    The deficit for this year would surge to a record-breaking $1.6 trillion, according to a congressional official who had access to a White House summary document. That deficit would easily top last year's then unprecedented $1.41 trillion gap.

    My question is why instead of the word that (in bold character) the writer has not use the demonstrative pronoun this.

    Do you have an idea?

    Thanks in advance.

    The Frenchie guy who try to improve its English level.

    My 0.02 bucks:

    This and that have near and far orientations, respectively. I think the author wanted to distance himself from the projections of the congressional official, either because he disagrees with him, or because he tries to maintain an objective tone in his article.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: This vs That

    Quote Originally Posted by Kondorosi View Post
    My 0.02 bucks:

    This and that have near and far orientations, respectively. I think the author wanted to distance himself from the projections of the congressional official, either because he disagrees with him, or because he tries to maintain an objective tone in his article.
    Hi kondorosi,

    I understand now why the author write 'that' instead of 'this'.

    Just one question: what do you mean by 'My 0.02 bucks'?

    Thanks.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 966
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: This vs That

    Quote Originally Posted by The French View Post
    Hi kondorosi,

    I understand now why the author write 'that' instead of 'this'.

    Just one question: what do you mean by 'My 0.02 bucks'?

    Thanks.
    your two cents worth - Definition of your two cents worth from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

    0,02 bucks or dollars = two cents

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •