Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Can anyone explain me is the following sentence a joke or what?

Even as students, broke and staying in the worst accommodations he had ever experienced, with the temperamental heating and bathrooms they had had to share with dozens of others, thing has never been like this. They'd shared a single bed on box-bedroom so small that they had to walk outside for a change of mind, but they didn't mind, in fact they loved being so close to each other.

Thanx

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can anyone explain me is the following sentence a joke or what?

Even as students, broke and staying in the worst accommodations he had ever experienced, with the temperamental heating and bathrooms they had had to share with dozens of others, thing has never been like this. They'd shared a single bed on box-bedroom so small that they had to walk outside for a change of mind, but they didn't mind, in fact they loved being so close to each other.

Thanx

it's not a joke but a description about a situtaion/circumstance how students live in hostel or rent houses

blueeye

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
it's not a joke but a description about a situtaion/circumstance how students live in hostel or rent houses

To walk outside for a change of mind? For a change of mind? It sounds to me like rather poor author's style (cliche in humorous playing with the different meanings of the verb "change"), but I'm not sure if it's an idiom.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
To walk outside for a change of mind? For a change of mind? It sounds to me like rather poor author's style (cliche in humorous playing with the different meanings of the verb "change"), but I'm not sure if it's an idiom.
It's a joke.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe it's also a play on the expression 'a change of air'. I haven't checked any corpora, but certainly, in the UK at least, 'going outside for' collocates very strongly with 'a change of air. Whatever the reason, the writer plays with 'mind' as well.

b

SUDHKAMP

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Maybe it's also a play on the expression 'a change of air'. I haven't checked any corpora, but certainly, in the UK at least, 'going outside for' collocates very strongly with 'a change of air. Whatever the reason, the writer plays with 'mind' as well.

b
Or does it also mean that they were so close to each other, that they had to get away from each other to change their minds.................. it is just a guess of sort. And yes it is a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.