[Grammar] Jumped/Stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star39

Member Type
Student or Learner
Please teachers, can you explain me why in making Past Simple form of these 2 verbs we can see the following difference:

1) stop - stopPed ("p" is doubled)

2) jump - jumped ("p" isn't doubled)

why it is so?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please teachers, can you explain me why in making Past Simple form of these 2 verbs we can see the following difference:

why it is so?
***NOT A TEACHER***Star39, good afternoon. There are many spelling rules that you can find in a good book. The best way is to read a lot and then your eyes will tell you how to spell the word. Why do you double the "p" in "stop"? (a) "-ed" starts with a vowel. (b) "stop" has one syllable. (c) "stop" ends in one consonant. (d) There is one vowel iin front of the one consonant. (e) Therefore, you must double the last letter: stopP + ed. This also explains why you write "stopP + ing." (As you can see, "jump" does not meet these requirements. ) Thank you.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada

why it is so?

I think this is just one of those things that you have to learn by memorizing it. Like the genders of nouns in French, German, and I am sure other languages. Some things don't make sense, but, that's life!

I am not a teacher, however. Perhaps one can give you and me a reason for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.