[Grammar] Box brackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

secondarymodern

Member Type
Other
I was never good at English and am a terrible speller but I have improved over the years and keep trying to improve even more.

What is driving my mad at the moment is that I have been looking at Nick Robinson's blog and he quotes Gordon Brown thus:

Gordon Brown backed AV at Prime Minister's Questions recently, claiming that "[g]iven the issues that have arisen about trust in politics, there is a case for every member of this House coming here with the support of more than 50% of the electors," but has met etc.

Why has the g in given been put in box brackets?
Does it mean that Hansard recorded it as 'iven' and NR has put the 'g' back in and marked it, or is there something else going on?

Thanks, Tony

secondarymodern

Member Type
Other
I seems I am not the only one who doesn't understand the box brackets in the quoted blog.
I have posted the same question to Nick Robinson but don't expect a reply as it is 'off subject'.
This is like a tune going round and round in my head. I don't want it but I can't stop it. I need to know. :-(

Tony

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
It implies that with the "g" was omitted in some report, or that an incorrect letter was used. The square brackets are used to indicate insertion of the correct letter.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The use of these square brackets is to insert what was meant in a quote, even if it was not what was actually said.

For example, the person is speaking or writing about someone named John Smith but in the part you want to quote, he just says "he." When you quote, you insert "[Smith]" instead of "he" so the reader knows who is being referred to.

You can also do it to correct a mistake.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Gordon Brown backed AV at Prime Minister's Questions recently, claiming that "[g]iven the issues that have arisen about trust in politics, there is a case for every member of this House coming here with the support of more than 50% of the electors," but has met etc.

Why has the g in given been put in box brackets?
Does it mean that Hansard recorded it as 'iven' and NR has put the 'g' back in and marked it, or is there something else going on?

Thanks, Tony
In Hansard, you willl probably find it's at the start of a sentence and a capital letter, so he is using the square brackets to show a change he has made to fit the requirements of his text.

Given -> given

secondarymodern

Member Type
Other
Thanks again Tdol.
That make perfect sense. NR changed a capital letter into lower case.
A bit pedantic to mark it though.

It's a great site this one. I will be reading it a lot.
Tony :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's probably a requirement of the BBC, as a legal safeguard, to show any changes made at all to a quote- we live in very litigious times.

Status
Not open for further replies.