nominative absolute diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Our Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is the highest paid head of government, more than five times the remuneration of US president Barack Obama.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Isn't "He earns" understood, and the sentence badly punctuated?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Our Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is the highest paid head of government, (with) more than five times the remuneration of US president Barack Obama.

Do you like this interpretation? The tail end of the sentence is an adverbial, a content disjunct that comments on the truth value of the sentence, posing a contingency, a reason. The adverbial is superordinate to the matrix clause and is detached from it syntactically.
What do you think? I tried to discuss this with another member, but he was more concerned with maintaining his respect-status than with sorting out this problem with a possible consequence of his losing face.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am dazzled and confused by the language that you use to describe the sentence. I don't feel qualified to judge. As far as diagramming it with R-K is concerned, however, I would probably just say that some words like "which is" are understood and go from there.

At one point in the past of this forum I compared my USA approach to syntax vs the British one to a log cabin vs Victorian mansion.

My approach works fine and allows for fun without precise syntactic terms. My log cabin keeps the wind and rain out.

Status
Not open for further replies.