Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask what the phrase "won’t you be surprised" means in the following context:

Greetings from Telos. We stand beside you as you type our words onto your computer. We are so glad to be with you this grand morn-ing on Earth. In your time it is snowing, but in our time it is warm and sunny. Soon the weather conditions will drastically change on the surface so that all your days will be like our days—perfect. Now, when this happens, what will the populace talk about? Now, your favorite topic is the weather. Well, won’t you be surprised. There will be so many surface changes that you’ll never run out of topics to talk to your neighbors or postmen about. Everything will be a topic of conversation, and everything will be so new it will light up your eyes and put smiles on every face and hope in every heart. For at last, you will all see and feel the Creator’s love being physically manifested for humanity in tangible form.

Is it a question or does it mean "You won't be surprised"?

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask what the phrase "won’t you be surprised" means in the following context:

Greetings from Telos. We stand beside you as you type our words onto your computer. We are so glad to be with you this grand morn-ing on Earth. In your time it is snowing, but in our time it is warm and sunny. Soon the weather conditions will drastically change on the surface so that all your days will be like our days—perfect. Now, when this happens, what will the populace talk about? Now, your favorite topic is the weather. Well, won’t you be surprised. There will be so many surface changes that you’ll never run out of topics to talk to your neighbors or postmen about. Everything will be a topic of conversation, and everything will be so new it will light up your eyes and put smiles on every face and hope in every heart. For at last, you will all see and feel the Creator’s love being physically manifested for humanity in tangible form.

Is it a question or does it mean "You won't be surprised"?
***NOT A TEACHER***KLPNO, good morning. I could easily be wrong, but the way I read your paragraph tells me that "Well, won't you be surprised" needs an exclamation mark: Won't you be surprised!!! In other words, the only current topic of small talk is the weather. But soon everything is going to change. So you will surprised (astounded) by the many new topics for conversation that will soon be available. You will really be surprised!!!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
***NOT A TEACHER***KLPNO, good morning. I could easily be wrong, but the way I read your paragraph tells me that "Well, won't you be surprised" needs an exclamation mark: Won't you be surprised!!! In other words, the only current topic of small talk is the weather. But soon everything is going to change. So you will surprised (astounded) by the many new topics for conversation that will soon be available. You will really be surprised!!!

Yes, I agree. It's not a question, it's an exclamation.

KLPNO

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
TheParser, bhaisahab, thank you very much!!!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
TheParser, bhaisahab, thank you very much!!!
***NOT A TEACHER***You are very welcome. I am glad that my answer was confirmed by a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.