[General] translate article

Status
Not open for further replies.

keitharing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi! I'm working on a translation from italian to english.. the text I think is quite difficult because is written in a typical Italian style. I'm quite sure of the word translation but structure of the sententences seems to me.. to far from an english one.. I don't know how going on! anyone could give suggestion?

Università degli Studi di Perugia [FONT=Georgia, serif]"Set foot in Damascus, the Syrian capital, may lead [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]at first [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]to a slight sense of bewilderment. [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Certainly, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] the cumbersome entry procedures at the airport[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif], especially if you enter with a journalist visa, leaves no doubt about the kind of country you are in. Moreover[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif], the soldier in charge of international passports, of course, does not speak a word of English. Not so the smart “companions” of the Mukhabarat (secret service), that instead speak English, and above all, understand it well.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]But still something doesn't fit well."(..)[/FONT]

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Hi! I'm working on a translation from Italian to English. the text I think is quite difficult because is written in a typical Italian style. I'm quite sure of the word translation but structure of the sententences seems to me.. too far from an English one.. I don't know how going on! anyone could give suggestion?

Università degli Studi di Perugia [FONT=Georgia, serif]"Set foot in Damascus, the Syrian capital, may lead [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]at first [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]to a slight sense of bewilderment. [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]Certainly, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif] the cumbersome entry procedures at the airport[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif], especially if you enter with a journalist visa, leaves no doubt about the kind of country you are in. Moreover[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif], the soldier in charge of international passports, of course, does not speak a word of English. Not so the smart “companions” of the Mukhabarat (secret service), that instead speak English, and above all, understand it well.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]But still something doesn't fit well."(..)[/FONT]

On first setting foot in Damascus, the traveller will feel a slight sense of bewilderment. The tedious entry procedures at the airport, especially if you arrive on a journalist's visa, leaves no doubt about the kind of country that you are in. The soldier in charge of international passports will certainly not speak a word of English. However, the smart "companions" of the Mukhabarat [Secret Service] do speak English and above all understand it well.

(( I am not sure what the relevance of the last sentence is))

Status
Not open for further replies.