[Essay] Coaches are the best teachers. (TOEFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

verona506

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi there! I am preparing for a TOEFL test. I posted other essays on this website and received good answers. Would you like to help me with this one too? Thank you in advance !!! :)

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Coaches are the best teachers. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
I know that a lot of students prefer studying with a coach to enrich their knowledge. Personally, I never used a coach. I prefer school teachers and self learning and I never was disappointed about the result. Why do we need a coach? To answer at this question, I must write the advantages and the disadvantages of this kind of learning.
It is well understood that studying with coaches is better because the teacher (the coach) can adapt his teaching style to a single person and the student understands better the subjects. Further, the teacher can answer at any of the student’s questions without taking from the other students’ time. Also, the student feels more freedom for asking, for practicing, for making mistakes, since his peers are not there to make any kind of comments. The teacher feels responsible for this job due to the extra salary amount and treats the student as a client; tries to be good enough to not lose his client. Further, the coach can point out some subtleties of the subject. Sometimes at the school teachers want to discuss more about something, but they do not have enough time during a single academic hour.
Why do we need to attend school programs if we can have our own teacher? First of all there is the financial reason; schools are much cheaper than coaching. Having classes is also a good way for developing communicational and social skills. Thus, from a psychological point of view, it is better for a child/teenager to frequent normal classes than to study with a coach. There is another disadvantage of coaching, the most important one – pupils will not put all their efforts for studying at school, with a common teacher, if they know that they can use their coach after lessons, for an easier learning and understanding. I would give an advice to all the parents to not let their children know that they can have a coach.
Coaches may be the best teachers, not because they have better knowledge, but because their financial motivation is stronger. I would say that all the teachers are good, if students are good enough to appreciate their knowledge, their teaching style. Before saying that school teachers are not as good as coaches, we must think that teachers are not teaching because they simply want to, or because they did not find another job. Teachers from almost all the countries in the world must pass several exams every year, to prove they are good for their job.
I agree that students/pupils are the final judges, but sometimes children or teenagers appreciate a teacher from a very individualist point of view. They relate the teacher’s teaching style to a personal moment in the past, when this teacher said something bad about their answer. Thus, students’ appreciations are relative and not fundamental. There is one thing I am sure about: it feels greater to be a client than to be a student. The responsibilities are fewer, the appreciation is stronger. So let’s think from the coaches’ and teachers’ point of view. Are the clients the best students?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hi there! I am preparing for a TOEFL test. I posted other essays on this website and received good answers. Would you like to help me with this one too? Thank you in advance !!! :)

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Coaches are the best teachers. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
I know that a lot of students prefer studying with a coach to enrich their knowledge. Personally, I never used a coach. I prefer school teachers and self learning and I never was disappointed about the result. Why do we need a coach? To answer [STRIKE]at [/STRIKE]this question, I must write the advantages and the disadvantages of this kind of learning.
It is well understood that studying with coaches is better because the teacher (the coach) can adapt his teaching style to a single person and the student understands [STRIKE]better the subjects[/STRIKE] the subjects better. Further, the teacher can answer [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] any of the student’s questions without taking from the other students’ time. Also, the student feels more freedom for asking, for practicing, for making mistakes, since his peers are not there to make any kind of comments. The teacher feels responsible for this job due to the extra salary amount and treats the student as a client; he tries to be good enough to not lose his client. Further, the coach can point out some subtleties of the subject. Sometimes [STRIKE]at the[/STRIKE] in school teachers want to discuss more about something, but they do not have enough time during a single academic hour.
Why do we need to attend school programs if we can have our own teacher? First of all there is the financial reason; schools are much cheaper than coaching. Having classes is also a good way for developing [STRIKE]communicational[/STRIKE] communications and social skills. Thus, from a psychological point of view, it is better for a child/teenager to frequent normal classes than to study with a coach. There is another disadvantage of coaching, the most important one – pupils will not put all their efforts for studying at school, with a common teacher, if they know that they can use their coach after lessons, for an easier learning and understanding. I would give an advice to all the parents to not let their children know that they can have a coach.
Coaches may be the best teachers, not because they have better knowledge, but because their financial motivation is stronger. I would say that all the teachers are good, if students are good enough to appreciate their knowledge, their teaching style. Before saying that school teachers are not as good as coaches, we must think that teachers are not teaching because they simply want to, or because they did not find another job. Teachers from almost all the countries in the world must pass several exams every year, to prove they are good for their job.
I agree that students/pupils are the final judges, but sometimes children or teenagers appreciate a teacher from a very individualist [or, personal?] point of view. They relate the teacher’s teaching style to a personal moment in the past, when this teacher said something bad about their answer. Thus, students’ appreciations are relative and not fundamental. There is one thing I am sure about: it feels [STRIKE]greater[/STRIKE] better to be a client than to be a student. The responsibilities are fewer, the appreciation is stronger. So let’s think from the coaches’ and teachers’ point of view. Are the clients the best students? (I'm not sure what you mean in this final sentence.)

You write well. I have only given this a cursory reading, so perhaps others can make more substantive suggestions.

verona506

Member Type
Student or Learner
The question was are coaches the best teachers. I don't believe that you answered this question at all. If you think that are the best teachers, list why they are. If you think they are not the best teaches, list why they are not. Make a strong case either for or against them being the best teachers. What you have written here just goes back-and-forth and never really answers the main question.

Thank you, Gillnetter, for your suggestions. I know from my school experience that I usually deviate from the main subject and can not focus on it. I want always to say more and have not enough time or/and space for that, so, I try to bring a little bit from all my ideas :) Unfortunately, you are not the first one who tells me that... The "5 steps scheme" that you suggested me in the other comments seems to be a really good strategy. It is like splitting the question in several 'sub-questions' to better understand it and it helps focusing. I will try to practice like this further and will post again :) Thank you again, it is really helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.