Post Thanks / Like

Post Just Little in Size

Hi all, I am a new member here. I have registered recently and I hope that I will benefit from this wonderful sit. What follows is an essay I wrote some time ago. Read it and tell me what you think about it.

( Just Little in Size )

She is little in size, I must say that, but that is not the whole story, since this insect is endowed the ability of a giant animal. That is the fly. This six-legged creature seems too feeble and peaceful most of the time, except for those wild blue ones. I donít like them because they are fearsome and a little bit larger than the ordinary flies.
    Flies. It can be said that those little insects are homeless. You may find a fly sleeping in the sleeve of your hanged coat, or even hiding inside one of your shoes. The most amazing thing is that you may find a fly stuck upside down on one of the ceiling fan wings or anywhere in the room.
    When it comes to annoyance, a fly is second to none. A single fly is able to take over the responsibility to drive a human being out of his/her mood. Her noisy buzz while hovering over someoneís head and her awesome tickle while cruising his/her limbs guarantee a state of restlessness.
    I speak from experience. I always have a fly or, sometimes, flies in the sky of my room. I donít know from where they steal into the room although I used to lock the room door tightly whenever I go out. Just for precaution. Inside the room, however, a fly has many things to do with me. Most certain is that she wants to try my patience, but she happens to lose in most of the encounters.
    Her courage leads her sometimes to land even terribly on the tip of my nose- a kind of unwanted respect. The worst kind of irritation happens while I am reading and in need for tranquility and, thus, concentration. It seems as if she sweeps the lines in front of my sight. Consequently, I have always to spare one of my hands for waving around my face not offering her a room to land. That is all what I can do. Fortunately, my fly is not that able to drive me to will my Keepsakes as Emily Dickinsonís did. Mine is something of an indifferent creature. I discovered that fact as I spent some time running after her. She is a dependant, too.
    Though, the existence of a fly inside the room irritates me very largely. Nevertheless, the amount of mercy that dwells in my heart disallows any possible sort of punishment. I will tell you why. I am certain that a single tin of insecticide is helpful to get rid of flies by causing a massacre- a terrible catastrophe, but this (I mean massacre) is a very harsh treatment that humans legitimatize to use with their fellow on earth. I canít do it with so small an insect. Moreover, most of what a fly requires is a very, very small space to be considered in someoneís room. Less than 1 square centimeter, letís say. The fly also carries a soul and has the right to share us life on earth, and that is a valid reason enough to me.
    Flies have some remarkable merits, however. One of those merits is that with a fly I never feel loneliness, so to speak. The feeling of being surrounded by some soul-carriers, even flies, seems in a way to relieve my worry of being alone at home. In addition, I think that flies, as well as many other animals, are possible to establish friendships with, although I have never made one. If a fly accepts my friendship, I will make her a bed of roses and a house of sugar tubes. Moreover, if I were put in a situation to choose between a fly and a mosquito, I would prefer the fly to the other insect due to the explicit differences between the two creatures. Alas, that is what makes me accept her existence in the room.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just Little in Size

I'll start now and come back in a bit- I'm about to go offline.

She- we usually say 'it' for insects.
    endowed the ability - endowed with the ability

Back later.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Ali,

( Just Little in Size )

She is little in size, I must say that, but that is not the whole story, since this insect is endowed with the abilities of a giant animal. That is the fly. This six-legged creature seems too feeble and peaceful most of the time, except for those wild blue ones. I donít like them because they are fearsome and a little bit larger than the ordinary flies.
    Flies: it can be said that those little insects are homeless. You may find a fly sleeping in the sleeve of your coat hanging up, or even hiding inside one of your shoes. The most amazing thing is that you may find a fly stuck upside down on one of the ceiling fan wings or anywhere in the room.
    When it comes to annoyance, a fly is second to none. A single fly is able to take over the responsibility to (I would remove this phrase- it's unnecessary) drive a human being out of his/her mind. Her noisy buzz while hovering over someoneís head and her awesome (I'm not sure a ticle can be awesome- it seems to strong to me) tickle while cruising his/her limbs guarantee a state of restlessness.
    I speak from experience. I always have a fly or, sometimes, flies flying about in my room. I donít know where they steal into the room, although I used to lock the room door tightly whenever I went out. Just for precaution. Inside the room, however, a fly has many things to do with me. What is certain is that she wants to try my patience, but she happens to lose in most of the encounters.
    Her courage leads her sometimes to land even right on the tip of my nose- a kind of unwanted respect. The worst kind of irritation happens while I am reading and in need of peace and quiet and, thus, concentration. It seems as if she sweeps across the lines in front of my eyes. Consequently, I have always to keep one of my hands free for waving around my face, not offering her room to land. That is all what I can do. Fortunately, my fly is not that able to drive me to will my Keepsakes as Emily Dickinsonís did. Mine is something of an indifferent creature. I discovered that fact as I spent some time running after her. She is a dependant, too.
    Though, the existence of a fly inside the room irritates me very largely. Nevertheless, the amount of mercy that dwells in my heart disallows any possible sort of punishment. I will tell you why; I am certain that a single tin of insecticide is helpful to get rid of flies by causing a massacre- a terrible catastrophe, but this (I mean massacre) is a very harsh treatment that humans legitimatize to use on their fellow beings on earth. I canít do it with so small an insect. Moreover, most of what a fly requires is a very, very small space to be considered in someoneís room. Less than 1 square centimeter, letís say. The fly also has a soul and has the right to share our living space on earth, and that is a valid reason enough to me.
    Flies have some remarkable merits, however. One of those merits is that with a fly I never feel loneliness, so to speak. The feeling of being surrounded by some soul-carriers, even flies, seems in a way to relieve my worry of being alone at home. In addition, I think that it is possible to make friends with flies, as well as many other animals, although I have never made one. If a fly accepts my friendship, I will make her a bed of roses and a house of sugar tubes. Moreover, if I were put in a situation to choose between a fly and a mosquito, I would prefer the fly to the other insect due to the explicit differences between the two creatures. Alas, that is what makes me accept her existence in the room.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tdol,
    I am really thankful for your valuable comments. they will be put in consideration.
    You are doing a great job here. I wonder if you are a native speaker of English.
    Bye!