[Idiom] idioms in newspapers and magazines

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyMary

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello! I am fond of studying English language and British culture through idioms, proverbs and phrases found in newspapers and magazines and find it useful. Being nuts about this topic I even decided to conduct a small research.. Will you please answer a couple of questions below so that we could find what role idioms that live on newspaper pages play in our lives? :-DThanks!

1. What is your favourite periodical?

2. Why do you think idioms and phrases are used by the authors of newspaper and magazine articles?

A. to make the speech more attractive and impressive
B. to influence the readers’ opinion
C. to express arguments in a more economical way
D. to preserve the figurative language as a part of culture and promote it’s usage
E. Your variant

3. Why do you personally use idioms in speech?

4. If you come across an idiom you’ve never seen before or an impressively transformed one, would you use it in your speech?
A. I’d rather do B. I’d rather not

5. What idiom, phrase or proverb you like most?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 Private Eye/The Spectator/The Economist
2 Possibly a) at least in making it attractive, but I don't see anything impressive about using an idiom- they can add colour/humour/interest, etc.
3 Brevity, colour, interest, etc.
4 If it's a good one, I'd use it.
5 No favourite

LadyMary

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you very much for your opinion!!
I'd be happy to learn others' as well :)

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Hello! I am fond of studying English language and British culture through idioms, proverbs and phrases found in newspapers and magazines and find it useful. Being nuts about this topic I even decided to conduct a small research.. Will you please answer a couple of questions below so that we could find what role idioms that live on newspaper pages play in our lives? :-DThanks!

1. What is your favourite periodical? hm.....

2. Why do you think idioms and phrases are used by the authors of newspaper and magazine articles?

A. to make the speech more attractive and impressive
B. to influence the readers’ opinion
C. to express arguments in a more economical way
D. to preserve the figurative language as a part of culture and promote it’s usage
E. Your variant My variants are A,B,C,D,E. It depends on the reason the articles are put down.

3. Why do you personally use idioms in speech? To practice them. For fun. for example it's more funny to say it rains cats and dogs than it rains heavily. etcetere

4. If you come across an idiom you’ve never seen before or an impressively transformed one, would you use it in your speech?
A. I’d rather do B. I’d rather not

5. What idiom, phrase or proverb you like most?

look up here: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/english-idioms-sayings/26605-animal-idioms.html

best

LadyMary

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks! All the answers are really helpful :up:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.