Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Good afternoon,

I would like to pick your mind for having an explanation about these two words: 'Back door'.

What does is mean?

I understand the word back and door when they are used alone but when Americans use them together apparently they have another meaning :-(. Am I on the right way?

Thanks in advance for your time and your patience.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
On the practical level, a house has a front in which there is a front door, a back in which there may be a back door, and sides in which there may be side doors.

The adjective tells you which part of the house the door leads into.

It can also be used as a term to indicate clandestine activity = "They managed to seal the contract by the backdoor" >> They used a bribe to get the contract.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
A house has a front in which there is a front door, a back in which there may be a back door, and sides in which there may be side doors.

The adjective tells you which part of the house the door leads into.

Hi Anglika,

I have looking on the web and I have found a special explanation. This site show another meaning: 'The US treasury'.

I do not undersatnd really what is the connection with the treasury, maybe it's a slang idiom to speak on the American Treasury but with your answer and that I have just read on the net, I am now in the fog.

Aniway, I return in my searching, perhaps an American can settle these two sense.

Thanks for your fast reply.
:up:

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
It would help to have the exact context - ie the exact phrasing in which you met this, including your web reference source. It seems a colloquial use, and not one I have met in any but a pejorative sense.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
It would help to have the exact context - ie the exact phrasing in which you met this, including your web reference source. It seems a colloquial use, and not one I have met in any but a pejorative sense.

Sorry,

but there is no context. It's in a TOEIC vocabulary free test. I have one word and below I have a choice between four answers.

The question was: Back door and the answer was 'The US treasury'.

I made the mistake but the response was written without explanation.

Thanks for your help and maybe Americans know what do does it mean.

Sincerely,

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Very odd - it would be interesting to know what the alternative answers were.

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Very odd - it would be interesting to know what the alternative answers were.

I agree with you. I hope to find the answer. When I have it I post it on the forum.

Have a nice day.

A frenchie learner who still tries to increase his level
.;-)

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Maybe it is about;

source:back door financing Definition

back door financing

Definition
When a government agency borrows from the U.S. Treasury instead of relying on congressional appropriations.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
More;

Source:Back Door Financing Definition - What is Back Door Financing?

Back door financing is a method used by U.S. government agencies to bypass congressional appropriations (the conventional way of obtaining funds) and borrowing directly from the U.S. Treasury, referred to as the back door. Back door financing avoids the discipline and controls of the budget process. Back door financing is also used by state government agencies and is commonly issued by public authorities. On a state level, back door financing bypasses any necessary voter approval, even though tax dollars are used to repay back door financing debt. There are often two primary types of back door financing used at the state level: lease-purchase arrangements and contractual obligation arrangements. Back door financing is not viewed favorably among law makers. As a result, back door financing has been banned in some areas of government.

------------
Think the Congress as the front door to obtain the funds , therefore US Treasury becomes the back door.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Euncu's post rather indicates the the dangers of regarding these tests as giving correct information since this is a highly specific use and not an everyday one. It does not seem that "US Treasury" is a reasonable definition of "back door".

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
this is a highly specific use and not an everyday one.

The French should be grateful that the ones who prepared the test didn't ask any question about their aunts' maiden names or their favorite movies. :)

The French

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Euncu's post rather indicates the the dangers of regarding these tests as giving correct information since this is a highly specific use and not an everyday one. It does not seem that "US Treasury" is a reasonable definition of "back door".

Hello,

I agree with you teacher, these tests sometimes can show us a bad explanation for the use of one word.

But I believe the persons who make them maybe try to stuck us. I am not angry against them. They show me how are this test .

Euncu 'maiden aunt' is not very hard to understand. I'm joking with you.:-D

Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.