Saying the plural form of a word in a sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

xPolaris

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi again, I have another question, hope y'all don't mind :cool:
While reading another thread on the word "scientists", I found that I never pronounce the "s" at the end when a word containing s in a sentence... For example, for the sentence" the scientists were gone", I'd just say "the scientist were gone". Does that happen to you guys? It seems like I can never pronounce the sssss stss fast enough... Is there a way to solve this?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi again, I have another question, hope y'all don't mind :cool:
While reading another thread on the word "scientists", I found that I never pronounce the "s" at the end when a word containing s in a sentence... For example, for the sentence" the scientists were gone", I'd just say "the scientist were gone". Does that happen to you guys? It seems like I can never pronounce the sssss stss fast enough... Is there a way to solve this?
Can you say "The scientist swere gone"?
But you're right. Even native speakers take shortcuts, and might say "The scientisswere gone" (with a proper Italian double ss).

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Can you say "The scientist swere gone"?
But you're right. Even native speakers take shortcuts, and might say "The scientisswere gone" (with a proper Italian double ss).

Hi Raymott, that means native speakers say "breasts" would pronounce "breas s", "risks" would be "ris s" without t sound, right?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Raymott, that means native speakers say "breasts" would pronounce "breas s", "risks" would be "ris s" without t sound, right?
No, those words shouldn't be too difficult. I didn't intend my advice to be generalised that far.
But there's something about words like 'scientists' and 'physicists' with serial /t/ and /s/ sounds that make them hard for some people.
Try saying "scientists' statistics" a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.