• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

strike a chord/approbation/ignoramus/hold the bag/

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The speech struck a responsive chord among many and won him much approbation.

to strike a chord = trigger a feeling or memory; create an emotional response

approbation = official approval; an expression of warm approval; praise

Many . . . joined in a loud hum of approbation.

Animals . . . love approbation or praise.

approbation = the act of approving; an assenting to the propriety of a thing with some degree of pleasure or satisfaction;

This day my sister should the cloister enter, and there receive her approbation.

approbation = probation

We may be anxious for the approbation of our friends; but we should be still more anxious for the approval of our own consciences.

He who is desirous to obtain universal approbation will learn a good lesson from the fable of the old man and his ass.

approbation = strong assenting to or declaring as good, sanction, commendation

I prefaced my suggestion by saying that I was an ignoramus.

A bigger ignoramus I never met; he doesn't even know that ships and cars are always female.

He made claims to be an authority on Africa, and I could not help suspecting that subconsciously he felt that an incompetent ignoramus had invaded his territory.

ignoramus = an ignorant person

Afghanistan: Who is left holding the bag?

It was a zip-up pocket intended for golf balls and perhaps a pipe or a pair of gloves. The zip had been half-closed. Pulling it open would be too great a risk and Turner could not trust his own hands to hold the bag steady.

hold the bag = to be left with empty hands

We went out to dinner together but when it was time to pay I was left holding the bag.

hold the bag = to be made liable for or victimized

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: strike a chord/approbation/ignoramus/hold the bag/

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

The speech struck a responsive chord among many and won him much approbation.Ok

to strike a chord = trigger a feeling or memory; create an emotional response

approbation = official approval; an expression of warm approval; praise

Many . . . joined in a loud hum of approbation.

Animals . . . love approbation or praise.

approbation = the act of approving; an assenting to the propriety of a thing with some degree of pleasure or satisfaction;
    His services for the uplift of downtrodden has received universal approbation.
    This day my sister should the cloister enter, and there receive her approbation.

approbation = probation

We may be anxious for the approbation of our friends; but we should be still more anxious for the approval of our own consciences.

He who is desirous to obtain universal approbation will learn a good lesson from the fable of the old man and his ass.Ok

approbation = strong assenting to or declaring as good, sanction, commendation

I prefaced my suggestion by saying that I was an ignoramus.

A bigger ignoramus I never met; he doesn't even know that ships and cars are always female.

He made claims to be an authority on Africa, and I could not help suspecting that subconsciously he felt that an incompetent ignoramus had invaded his territory.
    A Quote: Of all the unbearable nuisances, the ignoramus that has traveled is the worst
    ignoramus = an ignorant person Ok

Afghanistan: Who is left holding the bag?

It was a zip-up pocket intended for golf balls and perhaps a pipe or a pair of gloves. The zip had been half-closed. Pulling it open would be too great a risk and Turner could not trust his own hands to hold the bag steady.

hold the bag = to be left with empty hands

We went out to dinner together but when it was time to pay I was left holding the bag.

hold the bag = to be made liable for or victimized= The person who is left holding the bag is generally the scapegoat.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    All look fine.