Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
American Samoa
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can I use where as a conjunction to define 'minority government' in this sentence:

It serves as an energizer in a majority government, where the ruling party has more than 50% of parliamentary seats.

Edited for verb: Thanks Parser

Last edited:

Raniaa

Member Type
Academic
just i'm about to be a teacher and replying yr question.

where can be used as conjunction that refers to define place. in the sentence "It serves as an energizer in a majority government, where the ruling party more than 50% of parliamentary seats" majority government refers to place so where can be used here as conjunction to define what refer to place. hope replay is clear

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I use where as a conjunction to define 'minority government' in this sentence:

It serves as an energizer in a majority government, where the ruling party more than 50% of parliamentary seats.
***NOT A TEACHER***Ulysses, good morning. May I give you my viewpoint? (1) I think a verb is missing after "party." It perhaps should read "where the ruling party has/holds ....(2) My grammar book calls "where" in such a sentence a so-called "relative adverb" because it does two things: (a) it connects the two clauses and (b) "where" modifies the verb "has/holds." (3) My book says that "where" in such a sentence = a prepositional phrase. In other words, you could say: It serves as an energizer in a majority government, IN WHICH the ruling party. .... Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.