Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Can I add a 'she' prefix to any animal name to make a female animal name?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually a female goat is a nanny (oddly, that's the only animal I saw that did list "she-animal" as an alternative to the normal name) and a female sheep is a ewe.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
I agree mostly with Gillnetter, but I think the female wolf is really called a 'she-wolf'. A bitch too, but similar to fox/vixen, there's another word other than bitch for female wolf.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Actually a female goat is a nanny (oddly, that's the only animal I saw that did list "she-animal" as an alternative to the normal name) and a female sheep is a ewe.

I agree. In India, we are used to prefix ‘she’ as an alternative to refer to female animals particularly in spoken English when you are not in a position to recall the exact female equivalent. . Certain animals like she-wolf, she-camel, she-goat are in common use. In specific cases, such as: a cow producing a baby is called a calf which can be both male and female. You can not ditnguish a calf by gender. When it is female we call it a she-calf.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree mostly with Gillnetter, but I think the female wolf is really called a 'she-wolf'. A bitch too, but similar to fox/vixen, there's another word other than bitch for female wolf.

:up: Interested people could do a Google search for 'Akela' - Rudyard Kipling always called her a she-wolf. (The 'Akela' in my Wolf Cub pack - the old term for Cub Scout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - may have been a bitch, but that's another story... ;-)

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS I'm not sure whether that Wikipedia article made it clear, but in the late '50s/early '60s the adult helpers who organized the 'Wolf Cub Pack' (it was called a 'pack') had the names of animals who featured in Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book (and Book 2, I think - we briefly had a 'Rikki Tikki Tavi' - and that mongoose didn't figure in the first book). So the 'Akela' I mentioned was in fact a woman.

b

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can I add a 'she' prefix to any animal name to make a female animal name?

In conversation, if you didn't know the correct word, it would be an OK way to get your point across- people would know what you meant.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Do you use "he-" this way?

Status