Im having difficulties review my intro paragraph to see if there's any grammatical errors or sentence structures.

As I set foot off of the plane, a rush of hot air flew past my face and I found myself looking at coconut tree after coconut tree. Then, it finally dawned on me that I was at a new beginning and totally alone. Who would have thought stepping off a plane in Hawaii would be so depressing. All I could think of was missing family and friends. Eventually, the thought of my father’s last words came upon me, “Here is your opportunity to start becoming independent. Grab every learning experience you can gain from because in the end, all your hard work and struggles will pay off in your success.” This advice truly inspired and motivated me to become the best that I can be. College life started out pretty rough as far as; settling in, maintaining good academics and managing finances. However, with the right attitude and motivation I was able to overcome all difficulties and temptations that came in the way of my success.

thank you