Thread: Colour idioms

• Post Thanks / Like

Colour idioms

Hi,

I found a very good exercise full of colour idioms for my pupils, but I do not know every solution for it. I marked it with points where I'm looking for a "colour" word in the sentence. I would also appreciate if you could add the meaning, too.

"This morning my wife called me yellow-bellied for not wanting to start my own business. Actually, I'm just afraid of all the rep tape involved. This afternoon, she told me she is leaving me for a man in the oil business. She thinks the grass will be greener on the other side just because he has a lot of money from all that ... .... (2 words are missing). Personally, I think he's just a rich ...neck who is responsible for more than his share of green house gas emissions. So, the no-good ...digger has shown her true colours and is moving out. This evening she is going to catch the ...-eye to Houston. Tomorrow she says her lawyers will start divorce proceedings. She'll get the ...mine and I'll get the shaft."

Thanks a lot,

Balázs.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Colour idioms

Quote Originally Posted by borsbali View Post
    Hi,

I found a very good exercise full of colour idioms for my pupils, but I do not know every solution for it. I marked it with points where I'm looking for a "colour" word in the sentence. I would also appreciate if you could add the meaning, too.

"This morning my wife called me yellow-bellied for not wanting to start my own business. Actually, I'm just afraid of all the rep tape involved. This afternoon, she told me she is leaving me for a man in the oil business. She thinks the grass will be greener on the other side just because he has a lot of money from all that ... .... (2 words are missing). Personally, I think he's just a rich ...neck who is responsible for more than his share of green house gas emissions. So, the no-good ...digger has shown her true colours and is moving out. This evening she is going to catch the ...-eye to Houston. Tomorrow she says her lawyers will start divorce proceedings. She'll get the ...mine and I'll get the shaft."

Thanks a lot,

Balázs.
    "This morning my wife called me yellow-bellied for not wanting to start my own business. Actually, I'm just afraid of all the rep tape involved. This afternoon, she told me she is leaving me for a man in the oil business. She thinks the grass will be greener on the other side just because he has a lot of money from all that black gold (2 words are missing). Personally, I think he's just a rich redneck who is responsible for more than his share of green house gas emissions. So, the no-good gold digger has shown her true colours and is moving out. This evening she is going to catch the red-eye to Houston. Tomorrow she says her lawyers will start divorce proceedings. She'll get the goldmine and I'll get the shaft."

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

How about:
    The trouble is I am just a greenhorn, and I am leery of all the red tape that might be involved.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

In the original posting, green house should be greenhouse. It is not a house which happens to be the colour green.

Not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Searching for language View Post
    In the original posting, green house should be greenhouse. It is not a house which happens to be the colour green.

Not a teacher.
    Yes, you are right, I missed that.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

I'm tickled pink to see so many color idioms.