Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
i am confused about the following sentence:
the residents escape unhurt before the blaze gutted their single wooden and tin-sheeted homes.

"escape unhurt" a linking verb + adjective , do you think i am right?:?:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
re: Is "escape" a linking verb?

The residents escaped unhurt before the blaze gutted their single wooden and tin-sheeted homes.

"escape unhurt" a linking verb + adjective , do you think i am right?:?: no
"escaped" is not a linking verb; it is an action verb.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

the residents escape unhurt before the blaze gutted their single wooden and tin-sheeted homes.

2006 is absolutely right. Some times distinguishing an action verb from a linking verb can be tricky and difficult. If you can’t decide whether a verb is active or linking, here is a simple test. Try to apply the word ‘force’ and to+verb in the sentence. If the sentence makes sense or sounds logical the verb is an action verb. Have a look at the following sentences:

Mary appears angry.
Mary is forced to appear angry.
Mr. Smith looked unhappy yesterday.
Mr. Smith was forced to look unhappy yesterday.
These sentences make no sense because you can not force any one to appear angry or to look unhappy. So they are linking verbs.

The residents escaped unhurt before the blaze…..(your sentence)
The residents were forced to escape unhurt before the blaze……(lucky, they are all safe now)
So ‘escape’ is an action verb without any doubt.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

Most evidently, the verb 'escape' does not function as an action verb in this sentence. 'unhurt', an adjective, names an attribute that describes the state of the residents' at the end-point of their escaping. 'escape' is one of the several verbs that can function either as an action verb or as a so-called result copular verb.

Your name escapes me. (action) SVO
The residents escaped unhurt. (result copula) SVC
The residents were unhurt.

Children grow so quickly. (action) SV
I grew weary of your complaints. (result copula) SVC

Furthermore, there are three possible positions of adjectives in relation to the noun they modify:

- attributive -- This is not the case here as an attribute adjective is always followed by the noun it modifies.
- postpositive -- Again, we do not have a postposed adjective in the OP's sentence as postposed adjectives closely follow the noun they modify.
- predicate adjective -- That is what we have here. Since predicate adjectives can only appear in copular constructions, 'escaped' is most obviosly functions as a copula.

'escape' is a copula in the sentence.

QED.

nono1994

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

would you mind giving me a list of "result copular verb"?
thank you

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Most evidently, the verb 'escape' does not function as an action verb in this sentence.
QED.
The residents escaped (and were) unhurt.

"escaped" is an action. The residents walked, ran or jumped out of the building.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Most evidently, the verb 'escape' does not function as an action verb in this sentence. 'unhurt', an adjective, names an attribute that describes the state of the residents' at the end-point of their escaping. 'escape' is one of the several verbs that can function either as an action verb or as a so-called result copular verb.

Your name escapes me. (action) SVO
The residents escaped unhurt. (result copula) SVC
The residents were unhurt.

Children grow so quickly. (action) SV
I grew weary of your complaints. (result copula) SVC

Furthermore, there are three possible positions of adjectives in relation to the noun they modify:

- attributive -- This is not the case here as an attribute adjective is always followed by the noun it modifies.
- postpositive -- Again, we do not have a postposed adjective in the OP's sentence as postposed adjectives closely follow the noun they modify.
- predicate adjective -- That is what we have here. Since predicate adjectives can only appear in copular constructions, 'escaped' is most obviosly functions as a copula.

'escape' is a copula in the sentence.

QED.

We can not ignore the fact that a copula (or copular) verb is a verb that connects the subject to the complement. They are sometimes called linking verbs. Linking verbs do not describe action. So when a verb describes an action and also links a complement, you can not call it a copular verb. The example sentence can be expressed without linking an adjective but with an adverb, as:
The residents escaped quickly before the blaze gutted their single wooden and tin-sheeted homes
Or
The residents escaped quickly without getting hurt before the blaze gutted their single wooden and tin-sheeted homes

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Most evidently, the verb 'escape' does not function as an action verb in this sentence.

Actually, it does- there was a fire and they had to escape- an action. However, it is also functioning in a similar way to a resulting copular verb. If we say that children ran wild, or someone grew old, the children didn't necessarily run and the person almost certainly didn't grow, but in the example, they certainly did escape. It's not as simple a case as your analysis makes out- it is a case where the verb has a foot in each camp IMO.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Actually, it does- there was a fire and they had to escape- an action. However, it is also functioning in a similar way to a resulting copular verb. If we say that children ran wild, or someone grew old, the children didn't necessarily run and the person almost certainly didn't grow, but in the example, they certainly did escape. It's not as simple a case as your analysis makes out- it is a case where the verb has a foot in each camp IMO.
***NOT A TEACHER***A very acknowledgeable person without a moment's hesitation told me the same thing: "escape" is both a copular and full verb in that sentence. But (a) if it is, what does "unhurt" modify"? (b) If it's a linking verb, then it, of course, modifies the subject. (c) If it's a full verb, does "unhurt" modify the verb? One famous grammarian said that adjectives sometimes do so. His example: He CAME home TIRED. = He came home; he was tired. One poster in this thread suggested almost the same idea: He escaped. He was unhurt. Can someone clarify this modification puzzle for the original poster, me, and other interested parties. Thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

:up: Incidentally, Tdol didn't say, but corum might like to note that there are ways to register a polite objection to someone else's analysis, however right the writer may think s/he is. :-| Perhaps it would be a good idea for corum to read the UsingEnglish.com ESL Forum - Forum Rules before making any further posts.

b

Last edited:

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

The grammatical category of copular verbs is not an all-or-nothing issue. Rather, it is a matter of degree. With copulas, there is a category of prototype as well as a range of copular types that diverge from the prototype in various ways.
Quasi-copula verbs retain the dynamic qualities of action verbs. They are copula-like in that they are followed by an adjective which depicts a characteristic of the logical subject, but yet the verb is still used in a dynamic sense, not in a semantically-reduced sense one expects of 'normal' copula verbs.

The sailors returned very depressed.
The residents escaped unhurt.

'returned' and 'escaped" in these sentences classify as quasi-copulas. The verbs retain their dynamic senses and they are followed by an adjective that relates to the subject. Another difference from prototypical copular behaviour is this:

The sailors returned depressed. :tick:
The sailors returned [STRIKE]depressed[/STRIKE]. :tick:

To recap, copular verbs and action verbs are not mutually exclusive categories.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

Yes, you are correct. 'escape' is a quasi-copula.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***NOT A TEACHER***nono, good morning. After carefully studying these posts, communicating with other people, and checking my books, I think I have good news to report: (1) The adjective "unhurt" is being used as a verbless adverbial clause. This means that although it does, of course, refer to "the residents," it is not the same as "The residents were (linking verb) unhurt." In other words, the verb "escaped" is not a true linking verb. The adjective "unhurt" has some relationship to the whole sentence. Grammar books tell us that we can "prove" this because we can use the word in many positions: Unhurt, the residents escaped before the blaze..../ The residents, unhurt, escaped before the blaze..../The residents escaped unhurt before the blaze.... Thank you so much for asking this question. I learned SO much. Have a nice day!

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

The adjective "unhurt" is being used as a verbless adverbial clause. This means that although it does, of course, refer to "the residents," it is not the same as "The residents were (linking verb) unhurt."

A possible paraphrase lays bare a copula-like characteristic, IMO:
They were unhurt (at the time they escaped). We need the bracketed part, though, otherwise a considerable amount of the original meaning would be lost. Copula-like.

In other words, the verb "escaped" is not a true linking verb.

In my book, it is a quasi-copula, which shows characteristics of both camps: linking verbs and action verbs.

The adjective "unhurt" has some relationship to the whole sentence. Grammar books tell us that we can "prove" this because we can use the word in many positions: Unhurt, the residents escaped before the blaze..../ The residents, unhurt, escaped before the blaze..../The residents escaped unhurt before the blaze

1. Kim married young.
2. They escaped unhurt.
3. Jessie died poor.

Would you say in all three sentences there is an adverbial flavor to the adjective?
My book says the three verbs are all circumstantial die-type quasi copulas (that is a mouthful :)).

1. At the time of her marriage, Kim was young.
2. At the time they escaped, they were unhurt.
3. At the time she died, Jessie was poor.

We can see in the paraphrases that the verbs fully retain their dynamic senses. How about the inverse?

1. At the time she was young, Kim got married.
2. At the time they were unhurt, they escaped.
3. At the time she was poor... .

Are the inverses theoretically impossible?

I found this: Because of the optional nature of a modifier like poor when it follows a quasi copula like die:

1. Kim married [STRIKE]young[/STRIKE]. :tick:
2. They escaped [STRIKE]unhurt[/STRIKE]. :tick:
3. Jessie died [STRIKE]poor[/STRIKE]. :tick:

many analysts wonder if this element should not be treated as a type of adverbial.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Quasi-copula verbs retain the dynamic qualities of action verbs. ...

Absolutely ;-) :up: So why not say that in the first place rather than waste moderators' time by stirring up unnecessary ill feeling? To quote my old French teacher, 'Point final'

b

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

So why not say that in the first place?

Because I did not know that in the first place. Thank God I made that mistake. Without that the thread would have stopped at the level of action verbs. People learn from their mistakes. And more importantly, others learn from them too. Am I right, TheParser? ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

***NOT A TEACHER***A very acknowledgeable person without a moment's hesitation told me the same thing: "escape" is both a copular and full verb in that sentence. But (a) if it is, what does "unhurt" modify"? (b) If it's a linking verb, then it, of course, modifies the subject. (c) If it's a full verb, does "unhurt" modify the verb? One famous grammarian said that adjectives sometimes do so. His example: He CAME home TIRED. = He came home; he was tired. One poster in this thread suggested almost the same idea: He escaped. He was unhurt. Can someone clarify this modification puzzle for the original poster, me, and other interested parties. Thank you.

It's a tricky sentence. For me, unhurt is modifying the subject rather than describing the way they escaped, but that doesn't stop it simultaneously being an action verb- it's a two-for-the-price-of-one sentence. It is like a resultative adjective to me, but others may see it differently.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

I cannot be at one with the sentence adverbial interpretation of yours, TheParser.

Unhurt, he managed to escape.
He managed to escape unhurt.

I do not think the two sentences mean the same thing. They are different, which means we cannot speak about the mobility of 'unhurt' in the sentence because mobility means there is no change in meaning. 'unhurt' could be adverbial in nature, but its capacity to occupy different slots does not prove its adverbial nature.

In #1, there is an implied 'Being', is there not?

Being unhurt, he managed to escape.

He was unhurt at the time of escaping? Does it mean something to you, guys?
I would like to hear your opinion, TheParser.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Unhurt, he managed to escape.
He managed to escape unhurt.
I can't make sense out of the first sentence (or any of its variations). On the other hand, the second one says a great deal. The person escaped from what was presumably a dangerous situation and managed to do so without sustaining any injury. Saying that he got out of it unhurt strongly implies that there was a good chance he would be hurt. That he managed to escape unhurt says to me that he was fortunate to do so.

:)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I can't make sense out of the first sentence (or any of its variations). ...

Well I can - just - after the addition of 'Being'. But it depends on a context that has already defined 'unhurt' as meaning 'sound in wind and limb'. If, for example, A and B have been captured and B - in the initial attempt to avoid capture - had sprained his ankle then 'Being unhurt, A was able to escape' would make sense to me. Perhaps just 'Unhurt, A escaped' sounds a bit iffy though. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.