Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

However, experts predict difficulties with the supply of imported equipment spare parts, repair, and other elements of security, to which Russia's military infrastructure ill-equipped.

ill-equipped = poorly supplied with physical equipment

While Liverpool is behind leading the championship with Manchester United by one point, though mancuniantsy have one game in hand. Arsenal, typing 61 points, took fourth place with a time lag from the leader at 10 points.

behind leading the championship [FONT=&quot]with Manchester by one point = be in arrears with Manchester by one point[/FONT]

Mancunian = of or relating to Manchester, England

Basketball Moscow Dynamo dropped out of the fight for the championship medals, behind and in the second quarterfinal match the St. Petersburg Spartak - 68:73.

Two of the team have dropped out, and I don't know where we'll find replacements.
After the eighth grade poorer pupils drop out completely.
drop out = withdraw from participation in a group such as a school, club, or game

Vox's idea of protection would be to mash Tamlin to the path and straddle him like a baby while swinging his great axe two-handed at all comers.

mash = crush = to put down

straddle = to stand or sit with a leg on each side of; bestride: straddle a horse

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Last edited:

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

However, experts predict difficulties with the supply of imported equipment spare parts, repair, and other elements of security, to which Russia's military infrastructure is ill-equipped. (You need a linking verb)

ill-equipped = poorly supplied with physical equipment

While Liverpool is behind leading the championship with Manchester United by one point, though mancuniantsy have one game in hand. Arsenal, typing 61 points, took fourth place with a time lag from the leader at 10 points

behind leading the championship [FONT=&quot]with Manchester by one point = be in arrears with Manchester by one point[/FONT]

Mancunian = of or relating to Manchester, England ; I am unsure and ill-equipped..

Basketball Moscow Dynamo dropped out of the fight for the championship medals, with them behind and in the second quarterfinal match the St. Petersburg Spartak also followed suit - 68:73. (I think some restructuring is needed.

Two of the team have dropped out, and I don't know where we'll find replacements.
After the eighth grade poorer pupils drop out completely.
drop out = withdraw from participation in a group such as a school, club, or game

Vox's idea of protection would be to mash Tamlin to the path and straddle him like a baby while swinging his great axe two-handed at all comers.

mash = crush = to put down

straddle = to stand or sit with a leg on each side of; bestride: straddle a horse

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Despite my ignorance ot the second, I agree with the rest.
Straddles are a good strategy though risky, adopted by financial brokers to woo an investor who believes that a stock's price will move significantly, but is unsure as to which direction (up or down).

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.