Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

This "potential defect, in turn, may result in separation of the propeller shaft and its contact with the road surface, which threatens the loss of drivability.

in turn = in the proper order or in sequence

Each man in turn got up and spoke.

Two teachers supervised the lunch hour in turn.

Two of the three boys tease their younger brother - John, the biggest, teases Bob, the middle boy; and Bob in turn teases Tim, the youngest.

in turn = according to a settled order; each following another

"If we keep in mind the unpredictable nature of Russia's policy, we should not exclude the possibility that these weapons could be used for illicit purposes, which do not correspond to our
values and principles," - said Defense Minister of Lithuania Rasa Jukneviciene, as quoted by Interfax.

Bear in mind the rules of safety when you swim.

keep in mind = bear in mind = remember

You have to be home by 11 o'clock. Keep that in mind, Bob.

Mary is studying hard with a good grade in mind.

in mind = in the center of your thought; in your close attention
Putin hedges on Mistral Purchase.

hedge = avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing

Heritage Foundation Russian scholar Ariel Cohen says the Russian decision to purchase the Mistral is a veiled admission of Russian weakness.

veiled = concealed; undercover; covert

admission = an acknowledgment of the truth of something

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
This "potential defect, in turn, may result in separation of the propeller shaft and its contact with the road surface, which threatens the loss of drivability.

in turn = in the proper order or in sequence= in the appropriate point in the order

Each man in turn got up and spoke.

Two teachers supervised the lunch hour in turn.

Two of the three boys tease their younger brother - John, the biggest, teases Bob, the middle boy; and Bob in turn teases Tim, the youngest.

in turn = according to a settled order; each following another= one after the other

"If we keep in mind the unpredictable nature of Russia's policy, we should not exclude the possibility that these weapons could be used for illicit purposes, which do not correspond to our
values and principles," - said Defense Minister of Lithuania Rasa Jukneviciene, as quoted by Interfax.

Bear in mind the rules of safety when you swim.

keep in mind = bear in mind = remember

You have to be home by 11 o'clock. Keep that in mind, Bob.

Mary is studying hard with a good grade in mind.

in mind = in the center of your thought; in your close attention
Putin hedges on Mistral Purchase.

hedge = avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing= to avoid a rigid commitment by qualifying or modifying a position so as to permit withdrawal

Heritage Foundation Russian scholar Ariel Cohen says the Russian decision to purchase the Mistral is a veiled admission of Russian weakness.

veiled = concealed; undercover; covert = covered with a veil or concealing cover (literal meaning)

admission = an acknowledgment of the truth of something

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

All look fine to me.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.