Not open for further replies.

daniel_in_hk

Member Type
Student or Learner
trust /trʌst/
truffle /ˈtrʌfl/
travel /ˈtrævl/
traffic /ˈtræfɪk/

Hi everybody, I got some problem when i check with the pronunciation about the word "travel". As the vowel /æ/, the sound should create in the front part of my mouth. However, when I listen the sound file in dictionary, it is most likely /trʌ/, because it sound create in the middle part of my mouth. So, I try to find out some word including /trʌ/ and /træ/, all of them come up with the same problem.
Could any teacher teach me the correct way to pronounce the /ʌ/ and /æ/? Thanks so much~~

Last edited by a moderator:

hoandt

Member Type
Student or Learner
trust /trʌst/
truffle /ˈtrʌfl/
travel /ˈtrævl/
traffic /ˈtræfɪk/

Could any teacher teach me the correct way to pronounce the /ʌ/ and /æ/? Thanks so much~~

/æ/:eek:pen your mouth like ":-o" (maybe wider) and keep your tongue flat.

/ʌ/ is pronunced as /er/ but you have to open your mouth as wide as /æ/

Layo0ol

Member Type
Student or Learner
I agree with hoandt

vowelmouths.jpg

in this picture shows you what your lips look like when you make these sounds

for more information you can look at this :

http://www.englishonline.org.cn/files/u1/pron_chart_black_0.swf

I hope this can help you
good luck :lol:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This problem had been discussed in another thread; I can't find it right now, but it was quite recent (last month, probably) and had a subject line very similar to this. In fact, I think it also mentioned the word 'trust' - so perhaps the same person asked. ;-)

b

daniel_in_hk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks all~

Sorry i still have some problem. According to the link from Layo0ol and description from hoandt. i figure out that /ʌ/ and /æ/ are open mouth like ":-o" but /æ/ need to put the tongue on the back of the lower teeth (i heard it from the link from Layo0ol), am i right?

If yes, could you please listen the sound file of word "travel" from google dictionary or Merriam online, is it sound /ʌ/ or /æ/?

Thanks~~

carlan79

Member Type
Student or Learner
you won't be confused anymore when you open your nose and mouth to pronounce /æ/. you'll find out that the sound changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.