• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,671
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Could you please explain me why this sentence is correct grammar:
"Love is like life and death, dont know when it'll begins and when it'll ends".
In this quote, we got present tense after "will". Why are these verb "begin" and " end" go with "s".
I have used many Grammar checkers to check this sentence. All result come out w CORRECT Grammar??? I need some explanations, please!
Thanks

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In this quote, we got present tense after "will". Why are these verb "begin" and " end" go with "s".
I have used many Grammar checkers to check this sentence. All result come out w CORRECT Grammar??? I need some explanations, please!
Thanks

Time to change your grammar checkers because the sentence is far from correct.

Clearly you've already realised that it would be more correct as.........

"Love is like life and death, don't know when it'll begin and when it'll end".

However, the sentence as it stands is a poorly expressed one. It would sound better as ........

"Love is like life and death: we know not when it will begin nor when it will end."

buggles (not a teacher)

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Thanks

It is very incorrect, although it may just be dialect. The correct sentence is:

"Love is like life and death; you don't know when it'll [that is, it will] begin and when it'll end." (The verb "will" requires the infinitive: "begin" and "end".)

Apparently it is easy to confuse a grammar checker. Perhaps it is good to know that grammar teachers can't be replaced by a computer!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If a grammar check doesn't find a mistake, it does not mean that the sentence is correct. They can recognise some errors, but they are still relatively primitive and if an error is not in their list, they won't recognise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.