purchase and perches

Status
Not open for further replies.

dranoelwcs

Member Type
Other
Is there any difference in pronouncing other than the vowel spelling in perches and purchase? in British English?
I feel there is as they are stressed differently but a colleague said there is none. Pls help us out. Thanks :)

orangutan

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is there any difference in pronouncing other than the vowel spelling in perches and purchase? in British English?
I feel there is as they are stressed differently but a colleague said there is none. Pls help us out. Thanks :)

The main difference is that the final consonant is voiced in "perches" and unvoiced in "purchase". I think also the second vowel in "purchase" may vary between speakers (in my pronunciation it is closer to a "schwa").

Not a phoneticist, comes without warranty.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
In Standard British English the only difference is the voicing at the end - /s/ for 'purchase' and /z/ for 'perches'. The second vowel is different too - /əs/ in 'purchase' and /ɪz/ in 'perches'. However, the difference between these two vowels in connected speech would be minimal and difficult to tell the difference between.

I'd guess there is a greater difference in pronunciation depending on accent. I was suprised to find that these words were pronounced the same in standard English. In my own accent, they would never be confused:

Purchase - ['pʌɾʧɪs]
Perches - ['pɛɾʧɪz]

orangutan

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Russian Federation
In Standard British English the only difference is the voicing at the end - /s/ for 'purchase' and /z/ for 'perches'. The second vowel is different too - /əs/ in 'purchase' and /ɪz/ in 'perches'. However, the difference between these two vowels in connected speech would be minimal and difficult to tell the difference between.

Yes, my initial reaction was that the vowel was the same. I think for many speakers, in England as well, it is.

I'd guess there is a greater difference in pronunciation depending on accent. I was suprised to find that these words were pronounced the same in standard English. In my own accent, they would never be confused:

Purchase - ['pʌɾʧɪs]
Perches - ['pɛɾʧɪz]

That is interesting - thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.