Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi,

can you show me the way to understand the meaning of the following sentence (the bold part):

At Stalingrad, the Soviets took perhaps a million casualties, and inflicted nearly a million more, to wrest the initiative from Germany. (it's an extract of The New York Times about the war in Afghanistan).

I would like to know if the sense in this case of the verb 'take' is like 'receive', 'have' or make. I am a bit confused about 'take casualties' it seems to me a little bizzare.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation (Do not hesitate to correct me - My pleasure).

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

can you show me the way to understand the meaning of the following sentence (the bold part):

At Stalingrad, the Soviets took perhaps a million casualties, and inflicted nearly a million more, to wrest the initiative from Germany. (it's an extract of The New York Times about the war in Afghanistan).

I would like to know if the sense in this case of the verb 'take' is like 'receive', 'have' or make. I am a bit confused about 'take casualties' it seems to me a little bizzare.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation (Do not hesitate to correct me - My pleasure).
To "take casualties" means to suffer/sustain casualties. If an army "takes a million casualties", it means that a million of their soldiers have been killed or wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.