Thread: "Good or Bad"

Anonymous Guest

"Good or Bad"

I like writing articles to practice my English skills. So while writing the story about well-respected business people, I came up with the following sentence:

"But no matter how good or bad things are, one thing is for sure their power is respected."

Since my primary goal is to use diverse words, how can I else use "good or bad" part of the aforementioned sentence? I'm looking for something more soundy. Positive and Negative won't work for sure...

Or would you just recommend to leave it as it is?

Thank you.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say leave it- it is a perfectly natural collocation.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Good or Bad"

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I like writing articles to practice my English skills. So while writing the story about well-respected business people, I came up with the following sentence:

"But no matter how good or bad things are, one thing is for sure their power is respected."
    I see no reason to change that. It is pretty straightforward and shoud be easily understood. However:

Since my primary goal is to use diverse words, how can I else use "good or bad" part of the aforementioned sentence? I'm looking for something more soundy. Positive and Negative won't work for sure...
    I'm not sure what you mean by "diverse words". Perhaps what you mean is that you wish to spice up your writing by using a variety of vocabulary to keep it from getting stale. I'm not sure what you mean by soundy (which is not really a word). Perhaps the word you are looking for is punchy. Certainly, "good or bad" is punchier than "positive or negative".

Or would you just recommend to leave it as it is?
    Yes, "good or bad" works well there. (Say: "Would you recommend leaving it as it is?")

Thank you.
    You're welcome. :D

I recommend that you register. You can get more out of the forum that way. You can keep the nickname "Anonymous" if you like.

:)